Moving after applying for GC

ASSYLEE

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

Is it cool if I move after I've applied for my GC based on Asylum? I'm moving from Jersey to NYC. The jurisdiction should be still under the same Service Center. Are there any advantanges of moving after I apply? Should I wait till I move and THEN apply? Thank you in advance!

Hey guys,

Is it cool if I move after I've applied for my GC based on Asylum? I'm moving from Jersey to NYC. The jurisdiction should be still under the same Service Center. Are there any advantanges of moving after I apply? Should I wait till I move and THEN apply? Thank you in advance!

You will just have to notify the service center of your move AND also submit the AR-11 form which must be filled out every time you move when you are an alien living in the United States. Remember you must do BOTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the purposes of applying for a GC based on asylee status, there is no advantage or disadvantage of moving before or after submitting the GC application. It is simply a non-issue, AS LONG AS you properly notify them of your change of address in the manner described by thankful.

For the purposes of applying for a GC based on asylee status, there is no advantage or disadvantage of moving before or after submitting the GC application. It is simply a non-issue, AS LONG AS you properly notify them of your change of address in the manner described by thankful.

If you plan on moving very shortly I would suggest using the new address on the application despite of the AR-11. I know of two cases of lost correspondence because someone was too lazy to update the system.

I personally moved 4 times in 6 years and never had an issue.

Thank you to senowen, thankful, and RB_ME. I will go ahead and apply now and will fill out the AR-11 and will inform the Service Center when I move. I don't plan on moving till February and do not want to wait to file for adjustment then.

Does anyone have a rough estimate on how long the approvals are taking now? I saw a six month approval on here recently. Is that an exception or closer to the norm??