Moving abroad for family reasons

Vivien Macdonald

Registered Users (C)
I just received my green card 5 months ago (which will expire in 10 years).
My husband would like to do an educational program abroad in Singapore for 3 years. We plan on coming back to States once a year and maintaining all of our assets here in the US. Do I need to apply for a re-entry permit?
Is it safe to live abroad and maintain my PR? Any advice on this will be great. I have consulted an immigration lawyer on this but I am seeking a second opinion.

this is what the immig. lawyer told me

that the best way to handle this situation is to write a letter documenting all the reasons of travelling abroad. The educational program for my husband is a validity that allows me to be abroad for longer than a year. Since we plan on coming back once a year, we really should not have a problem. I\'m going to apply for a re-entry permit before I leave (just in case), although i plan to return to the US within a year. Also, maintaining assets here are a huge indication to the INS that we plan on coming back to States for good, which will help my PR. That is all I know. But, I wanted to see if anyone else has gone through this process similar and had problems coming back into the States.

No Title

Yes, that is what I intend to do. If i send the application by the end of this month, I\'m hoping to get my re-entry permit by May/June because we want to leave asap. Do you think it takes a long time to process it?