More explanation about TN renewal

fif

My TN expires mid Jan 2017, I am thinking of renewing it by having the employer mailing my application:
- Does he need to submit any supplemental documents with it similar to the ones I provided at the border?
- What is the average time for application processing in the immigration office?
- I have heard that if a document is missing, it will take few months for fixing it, how accurate is that?
- On the other hand, is it safe to submit the application by the above method taking into consideration changes that may come up on NAFTA?

whether you apply at border or through USCIS, it has nothing to do with changes to NAFTA (if any). Both method work of course although getting it at border is probably better/faster as long as you have a solid application package.

I didnt get what you meant by missing doc. Why would employer not submit all required docs? of course if the package is incomplete, there will be an RFE and delay the approval. You can check processing times on uscis.gov

The instructions for I-129 include what you need to submit, which is essentially the same things you needed at the border. Unless you pay for premium processing, it will take 2-3 months, but you remain in pending status for that period (unless you leave US after your current TN expires, in which case you would have to get a border TN.

On poor mail-in applications: In my opinion, once a mail-in TN has been kicked back with an RFE (Request for evidence), one might as well just head for the border for renewal.

Hello Mister, thank you for your answer, actually the interview stressing me out, in general, this is why I prefer mailing.

nelsona, just for confirmation, one not leave the US once it is sent and in "pending", is that right?

You certainly can leave US while an I-129 is pemding and hve no affect on that petition. This is not an I-539.
But, if you try to return after your current TN is expired, and before your new one is approved, you will only be allowed in if you present a new TN petition at the border.
So, you can travel until mid-January without a problem. Of course, if you were planning to travel between now and mid-January, the question begs: Why bother with mail-in?