Mom's GC

akapoor

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus,

My mom is currently in US and I am planning to apply for her GC(my father passed away recently).
I live in PA. So, I was wondering whether I can apply for her I-130 and I -485 concurrently? Or should I apply for just I-130. Is there any drawback of applying them together? Can she stay with us while this whole process is going on?

Kindly advise?

Thanks much,
Akapoor

Hi Gurus,

My mom is currently in US and I am planning to apply for her GC(my father passed away recently).
I live in PA. So, I was wondering whether I can apply for her I-130 and I -485 concurrently? Or should I apply for just I-130. Is there any drawback of applying them together? Can she stay with us while this whole process is going on?

Kindly advise?

Thanks much,
Akapoor

I am exactly in the same situation. My mother came to US back in June of this year on B1/B2 visa. After about 3 months, I went ahead and applied for her I-130/I-485 paperwork together. In less than 3 months, she received her advance parole (travel document) & EAD card. Now waiting for the GC interview. To answer your question, you should file for I-130 & I-485 together. This is the right way & there is no drawback. She can also stay with you legally till she gets her GC decision.

Hi,

Thanks much for the response. Where did you send these documents (postal address - does this depend on the state you live in)? What all docs did you include with I-130 and I-485? Why did you need advance parole? Does your mom plan on working (EAD?) My mom does not intent on working.
Thanks,
Akapoor

Note that if you file for her when she is in the US, and less than 90 days have passed since she entered with a B1/B2, you risk having her GC denied for misrepresenting her intent at the port of entry (because B1/B2 requires nonimmigrant intent).

EAD is useful for getting things like a driver's license or state ID, even if she isn't going to work. Note that under the new fee structure, EAD and advance parole (including renewals) are "free" because they're built into the cost of the I-485, so it makes sense to go ahead and apply for them even if there are no immediate plans to use them.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Kapoor or Atlanta Brother,

Have you got your Mom's GC approval yet?

Below are my mother's timeline. She has left the country on Parole. I am hoping to get the approval soon.

Aug 19(-1) - Mailed I-131, I-130 and I-485
Aug 20(0)- Applications received
Aug 25(5)- NOA received for 130, 131 and 485
Aug 25(5)- Checks encashed
Aug 27(5)- Received FP Notice (Sceduled for 17th Sep)
Sep 17 - FP done
Sep 17- received letter saying case transfered to CA service center,
Oct 1- 130 + 485 status seen online. (not sure when it started showing, I checked it on 1 stOct.) 131 not yet seen online
Oct 29 - I 131 LUd changed. Approval letter sent
Nov 1 - I 131 Received.

Mom GC transferred to CA service center

Hi Subbu55,

My mom' case is same as yours.We sent everything on Sep 11th,2008. Got FP notice and done FP on oct 1st. On Oct 6th, got notice that case got transferred to california service center, laguna niguel.didnt hear anything since then.

Is it normal to get a US citizen parent GC to get transferred to service center? I thought they normally transfer to local office if needed( in my case San Diego). And any idea which processing time do we need to consider( for eg., 485 processing in CA center is in 2006 or the I-130 date that suggests 6 months?

Thanx

Ravi

Hi Ravi,

I am not sure if this is not standard process of transfering the case to service center.

I have been seeing this message for long now.

Atalanta Borther, Any update with your mother's case?

Subbbu

Thanx Subbu. Please keep me posted if you hear anything.

One thing I am still wondering abt, is the timeframe. Do you think we are in the same queue as employment based GC guys( waiting for their 485) or in a different one. If we are all in the same queue( since the case is transferred to service center instead of local office) then we are looking down a big hole for a long time.

All,

Parent applications for U.S Citizen petitioner's do get transferred to Service Centers ( my mom's case was with CSC). Her entire application took 3 months from start to finish. Good luck to all.