Mom applied for my GC but has not paid taxes...

redicon1

Registered Users (C)
Hi! My mom applied for my GC (I am in Canada) and my proority date has come up (my cousin is giving the affidavit of support). She and Dad have GC's for the last 10 years. They only coeme to US to keep it active but haven't filed any US taxes for the last 10 years. They have filed taxes in India. Please help me with the following questions:
1. Is there any criminal penalties or fines if my mom retroactively files for US taxes for the previous years? How many years should she file?
2. Can i show my cousin's afidavit of support (he lives in US) and just her Indian
tax forms? or does she, being the primary sponsor also have to file taxes for the last 10 years?
PLEASE HELP. THANK U!

redicon1 said:
She and Dad have GC's for the last 10 years. They only coeme to US to keep it active but haven't filed any US taxes for the last 10 years.

Correction - they had Green Cards.

I'm sure USCIS or DOS are going to be rather interested in your parents when your case comes up.

I appreciate your blunt response. What u r missing is the fact that the civil/criminal penalities only applies if you have not paid taxes DUE. if yr income is below the treshold, u r fine.
as far as revoking the gc is concerned, this is new. r u tryin to tell me all the immigrant parents who come here settled any where between boston chinatown and the edison township are paying and filing US taxes when a lot of them cant even properly read or write english?

Even if your income is below the threshold you have to FILE the returns even if you don't have to pay anything. Of course how this may affect your situation is difficult to predict!