Mistake in N-400 form. Interview next week. Need advise

pvelamur

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My wife's Naturalization interview is next week. Today while reviewing the N-400 application, we found a mistake. When entering the number of days outside the country, She entered the number of days stayed with in the USA. Like She entered 1395 days instead of 435 days. Rest all information like the entry/exit points she entered correctly. In the last 4 yrs she was out of the country only for 70 days. She applied for N-400 on the basis of 4Years + 1 day. She got her Green Card in 2001

By any chance can we submit a request before going for the interview itself. Any advise in this direction will be really appreciated

Thanks

My wife's Naturalization interview is next week. Today while reviewing the N-400 application, we found a mistake. When entering the number of days outside the country, She entered the number of days stayed with in the USA. Like She entered 1395 days instead of 435 days. Rest all information like the entry/exit points she entered correctly. In the last 4 yrs she was out of the country only for 70 days. She applied for N-400 on the basis of 4Years + 1 day. She got her Green Card in 2001

Of all the errors to make on the N-400, this one is pretty bad because if the officer believes it to be true then the result is naturalization denied. Don't bother trying to submit any documents before the interview. Instead you must make sure that you have solid evidence of the days your wife was out of the country and then present this data and the explanation of the mistake in the interview. The best documentation you can present right now are the entry/exit stamps on your wife's passport. Make sure it all adds up. Bring the expired passports if necessary.

If the interview wasn't so soon, then you could request the entry/exit data from US CBP. But they take about 5 months to send the data. If your wife's passport stamps can't prove the situation conclusively, then the interview will probably make this request of US CBP and the decision will be delayed quite a bit.

Make sure your wife brings all passports relevant to the last 5 years. Expired passports as well if need be.

It is common to have errors like this and it's not a problem to update it at the interview. There is no reason to worry, and no need to request records from CBP. Just reprint the page of the N-400 that has the travel history, fill it out correctly, and bring it to the interview.

When the interviewer starts going through the N-400, just say the specific page has errors and present the updated page with correct information. Don't proclaim to the interviewer ":eek: OMG I wrote down 1395 days!!! Please help me, am I doomed!!! :(". Just calmly hand over the updated page without mentioning 1395 days or diving into the details.

Don't try to update it before the interview; the updates may not reach the interviewer in time.

DOn't be panic

I just attended the interview today. The officer has gone through the N-400 form
line by line. She made some minor corrections here and there. So no need to worry at all.
Just tell the officer about the mistake. He/she can update their copy.

Good Luck.