Minor Child naturalization

at123

Registered Users (C)
I have a 15 years old child, who has lived me throughout. The details are as follows:

1. Got GC for self and child : Aug 30th, 2005
2. Am applying for US Citizenship (Naturalization) later this month for self and family (Spouse and Child)

Need to know:

1. For 15 years child who has been staying with me in US for last 5 years (with GC), should i apply for

n 400 or n 600 (or both).

Please do let us know. Thxs

AT

You can not apply N400. The child will naturalize when one of the parent naturalizes.
You can apply for child's N600-certificate of citizenship after you or spouse naturalize.

You can apply for a US passport for your child at the same time as you apply for one for yourself, right after your naturalization. Many people recommend also applying for an N-600 for the child. It provides an extra, more definitive proof of citizenship for your child to have, long-term. I plan to do that for my child. However, it's not mandatory and some people are satisfied with simply getting the child's US passport.

It is the question whether you want to spend $460 to file N-600. It is an additional proof that your son is a US Citizen. Do apply for his passport along with yours.

N-400 doesn't apply for this case. N-600 would be good, in particular as this case doesn't look 100% straightforward. I assume that when you say the child has lived with you is that you are some sort of single parent, through divorce or other circumstances. The child citizenship act of 2000 has one provision that says the child has to be in your physical and legal custody. The child is clearly in your physical custody, now you need the point of legal custody. Department of State and USCIS might have slightly different views on what is needed. It might be good to apply for a passport and N-600 concurrently once you naturalize. Start thinking about gathering proof of legal custody.

Naturalized today as USC.

One of my child is turning 16 in Mar 2011. should I apply for the passport right away or should i wait till the child reaches 16 years. I was actively considering applying only after the child's 16th birthday, any suggestions , or observations. Pls do let us know yr opinion. Thxs

at123

Congratulations! :) I would wait until he turns 16, then I think you can get a 10 year passport for him. Of course, if he needs to travel you'll have to apply sooner. You can apply for N-600 in the meantime.