Minor Child - Applying for a PIO card in India

Calpro

Our son was born in US in 2001 and we chose to have a US passport for him. Me and my wife are Indian citizens. Later in 2002 we returned back to India for good. His Indian visa, valid for 5 years is due to expire soon.

Does any one have the experience of the process to :
a) Extend Indian Visa for a minor child in India (and not living in Delhi) -
(Documents required, procedures, timelines)
b) Applying for a PIO card from India (and not living in Delhi) -
(Requires US Birth certificate to be attested by US embassy/apostilled
from State agencies,
Further attestation by MEA-CPV)

I have been trying to understand the above procedures and am still not clear on it.

Regards
Calpro

Note: I am not interested in OCI info. as I have been confirmed by the MEA that minors who are US citizens born to Indian parents cannot apply for OCI till they reach the age of 18.

Birth Certificate Apostille fro PIO card

We are also faceing the same problem. Applied for PIO card for my daughter who is 14 an US citizen . Got a letter from MHA stating that the birth certificate should be apostilled and attested. I am planning to send it to US and get it apostilled through www.californiaapostilles.com I was trying to reach the MHA office in NewDelhi, but the phones are either busy or ringing. Looks like people are very busy to attend to phone calls.
Here are the numbers I tried

1. Jitendar Kumar Mehan, Section Officer 011-23385748
2. R.K. Mithra 011-23381374

We are based in Trivandrum, Kerala

Thanks,

Bindu

http://immigrationindia.nic.in
PIO
http://immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ_PIO.htm

Visa extension
http://immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ_Visa_Extensions.htm

http://immigrationindia.nic.in
PIO (Person Of Indian Origin) Card

PIO card scheme, 1999 has been revised. The new PIO Card Scheme, 2002, is in operation since 15th September, 2002. According to the revised scheme, the PIO Card is valid for 15 years and a fee of Rupees 15,000/- charged for issue of the same. In the case of minor, i.e. below 18 years of age, the fee is Rupees 7,500/- for 15 years validity card.

Authority to which application is to be made: -

(i) An application for issue of a PIO Card shall be made to an Indian Mission in the country where the applicant is ordinarily resident.

(ii) Applicants already in India on Long Term Visa (more than one year) shall make the application for issue of a PIO Card to the following authorities: -

(A) Those residing in: -

(a) Delhi : Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
Level-II, East Block-VIII,

Sector-I, R.K. Puram,
New Delhi-110066

(b) Mumbai : Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
3rd Floor, Special Branch Building,
Badruddin Tayabji Lane,
Behind St. Xaviers College,
Mumbai-400001

(c) Kolkata : Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
237, Acharya Jagdish Chandra Bose Road,
Kolkata-700020
(d) Amritsar : Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
123-D, Ranjeet Avenue,
Amritsar-143001
(e) Chennai : Chief Immigration Officer,

Bureau of Immigration,
Shastri Bhavan, 26, Haddows Road,
Chennai-600006

(B) Those residing in areas other than (A) above: -

Joint Secretary (Foreigners),

Ministry of Home Affairs,

Ist floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan,

Khan Market,

New Delhi - 110003.

Possession of a PIO card, entitles a foreigner to enter or leave India without the requirements of any other VISA. Registration, however, is required with the concerned FRRO/CHIO/FRO office for a PIO card holder also if he stays in India for more than six months continuously like foreigners on any other types of long-term Visa.
------------------------
Visa Extension / Conversion

The powers of Visa conversions and visa extensions to foreigners present in India, vests with the Ministry of Home Affairs. For this purpose the foreigners can approach the Foreigners Division, MHA, Lok Nayak Bhawan, Khan Market, New Delhi between 10 AM to 12 AM on all working days (Monday to Friday). The change of visa status from one category to another category is normally not allowed. It can be considered by MHA only in extraordinary circumstances. For this purpose, the foreigner should normally come in person to the office. In exceptional cases and where allowed, a duly authenticated representative may be sent. Foreigners not residing in Delhi may approach the FRRO/CHIO/FRO concerned who would forward their case in MHA for approval. Applications for extensions/conversions should be made well in advance.

For the convenience of the foreigners, however, the FRROs/CHIO/FROs are empowered to make extensions / conversions for certain types of Visas without referring the same to MHA. The details of such powers vested with FRROs etc. are: -

1. In case of foreigners of Indian origin/foreigner married to Indian citizen/foreigner staying in India for more than 20 years, extension can be given on entry Visa by FRROs for a period of 5 years.

2. FRRO can extend the VISA for three months in case of Employment & Business VISAs and forward the case for further extension upto 1 year, to MHA. After obtaining approval from MHA, FRRO can extend that VISA for further four years on year-to-year basis.

3. FRRO can convert visa and grant extension of stay to foreign students studying upto 12th standard, whose parents are of Indian origin or whose parents are Indian nationals- on year to year basis. Same facility is also available for children of foreigners residing in India on long-term basis (studying up 12th Standard) on valid visas such as Employment, Business, Research, Entry Student etc.

4. FRRO can grant 15 days extension of stay on all types of visas on production of confirmed ticket for departure.

5. For student Visa Holders : FRRO can extend the Student Visa for duration of the course or for a maximum period of 5 years, whichever is less, to bonafide students coming to India to join well-known institutions subject to fulfillment of conditions prescribed. The visa fee for a student for the duration of the course or for a maximum period of 5 years, whichever is less, is US$ 75, but it remains a one time fee for duration of the course and all extensions within this duration are given free of cost. An additional fee of US$ 75 has to be charged for change in course/subsequent course. FRRO may allow change in Institution/course (on payment of fee) provided the new institution and course are also fully recognized/approved and are full-time proper courses. In case of PG Courses, fee has to be charged (except ICCR Scholars & students of gratis countries) for extension of visa on the basis of bonafide certificates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but...

Calpro said:
Our son was born in US in 2001 and we chose to have a US passport for him. Me and my wife are Indian citizens. Later in 2002 we returned back to India for good. His Indian visa, valid for 5 years is due to expire soon.

Does any one have the experience of the process to :
a) Extend Indian Visa for a minor child in India (and not living in Delhi) -
(Documents required, procedures, timelines)
b) Applying for a PIO card from India (and not living in Delhi) -
(Requires US Birth certificate to be attested by US embassy/apostilled
from State agencies,
Further attestation by MEA-CPV)

I have been trying to understand the above procedures and am still not clear on it.

Regards
Calpro

Note: I am not interested in OCI info. as I have been confirmed by the MEA that minors who are US citizens born to Indian parents cannot apply for OCI till they reach the age of 18.

Hello,

Sorry for not answering your question and asking a question in turn. You mentioned in your post that you *chose* to have US passport for your son. So, is there a choice? I thought if the child is born in US, you can get only US passport. And, I am reading posts of one of the person on the forum talking about how difficult it is to travel between India and US with just Indian passport for US born kid, since US does not allow the kid to travel without US passport.

Do you have any comments / suggestions?

Hi,
I know it's almost 6 years since you posted this. However I want to know how you applied it and where you applied it.

It would be great to share the experience so that others can benefit
thanks,
Sony

We are also faceing the same problem. Applied for PIO card for my daughter who is 14 an US citizen . Got a letter from MHA stating that the birth certificate should be apostilled and attested. I am planning to send it to US and get it apostilled through www.californiaapostilles.com I was trying to reach the MHA office in NewDelhi, but the phones are either busy or ringing. Looks like people are very busy to attend to phone calls.
Here are the numbers I tried

1. Jitendar Kumar Mehan, Section Officer 011-23385748
2. R.K. Mithra 011-23381374

We are based in Trivandrum, Kerala

Thanks,

Bindu

hey sony

hi sony,

did u applied for PIO ? if so do they ask for appostille ?

thanks,
ketan

Hi,
I know it's almost 6 years since you posted this. However I want to know how you applied it and where you applied it.

It would be great to share the experience so that others can benefit
thanks,
Sony

Hurrey orelmmymn

Hi
Anyone operative in this forum?
I pretension seems to be seeing Any bustle here on forums.immigration.com

Regards
PlossySlula
Transport away