Medical Test

justaquestion

Registered Users (C)
My child has mild autism and Fragile X diagnosis . She is at grade level with regular students but get speech therapy.

When her PCP gave the vaccine report, the paper included all her history including Fragile X. The Civil Surgeon has now asked us to get a letter from PCP stating what is the anticipated degree of disability .

Did anyone meet such a situation ? Not sure what will make her pass the Medical.

Second question ---

For me and spouse, we need MMR Vaccine. Civil Surgeon asked to go for a test which will confirm if we are immune and then no vaccine is required. I explained if we take the vaccine, it will be covered by insurance but test will not be covered.

What she says is, we can now take only one shot of MMR , the other one need to be after 4 weeks. We should either wait 4 weeks to complete the shot OR she will send the medical report with incomplete vaccination which will cause problem.

Any help in above two issues will be very appreciated

Your daughter should pass the medical without any problems - immigration medical examination is only concerned with communicable diseases and not with disabilities.

You and your spouse should take the test for MMR immunity if you can afford it. Any incomplete vaccination reports will delay your approval.

For me and spouse, we need MMR Vaccine. Civil Surgeon asked to go for a test which will confirm if we are immune and then no vaccine is required. I explained if we take the vaccine, it will be covered by insurance but test will not be covered.

Did you get the MMR vaccine as a child? If yes, show the doc the records if you or your parents are able to retrieve them, and you shouldn't need the vaccine nor the test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you get the MMR vaccine as a child? If yes, show the doc the records if you or your parents are able to retrieve them, and you shouldn't need the vaccine nor the test.

Thanks for all the answers. I did get one shot of MMR -- not as a child but in 2006 (in India) but I am unable to find the record ... still searching. My wife did not have MMR ever.

I am wonderign what is better --- 1) Take one shot and send Medical with incomplete MMR by first week of Jan and expect an RFE; 2) Take second dose by Jan 17 or so and send the complete pack before end of Jan. wondering which is better option.

What I see from CDC site is, "Completion of a vaccine series is not required to conclude the medical examination, because such a requirement would require multiple visits to a civil surgeon and could lead to unnecessary delay in the immigration process. "

What is the basis of your GC process ... employment? Is your priority date current for both this month and January?

Better to get everything done before sending the I-485, so things will be smoother and the risk of RFE is reduced. If your PD is still current in Jan you should have enough time to get all the shots.

What is the basis of your GC process ... employment? Is your priority date current for both this month and January?

Better to get everything done before sending the I-485, so things will be smoother and the risk of RFE is reduced. If your PD is still current in Jan you should have enough time to get all the shots.

Yes, PD is current in Jan. I can complete all and send the packet to Attorney by 20th Jan . I think that is best. BTW, does anyone know what is the cost of serological test for Measles (Doc says only Measles test is fine --- for other two one shot is ok)

Yes, PD is current in Jan. I can complete all and send the packet to Attorney by 20th Jan .
Be careful about that ... sending it to the attorney on Jan. 20 carries the risk of the attorney not sending it fast enough to arrive at USCIS by Jan. 31. If your PD is not current in Feb, you should send whatever you have to the attorney by Jan 15.

I think that is best. BTW, does anyone know what is the cost of serological test for Measles (Doc says only Measles test is fine --- for other two one shot is ok)
Blood tests for diseases or disease immunity are usually under $50 each, especially if you use an in-network provider for the testing center (the insurance won't pay for the test, but you'll still get the insurer discount by using an in-network provider). Of course, it varies by the specific disease, but measles is a historically common disease, so I'd expect the test to be on the cheaper side, maybe even under $30. But ultimately you'll have to call or visit the testing place to find out.

I expect your wife isn't going for the test, because she didn't have the MMR vaccine before. So it's only the cost for yourself you'd have to worry about.

Thanks jackolantern for all your help.

One additional question ---- For my first issue (child's Fragile X), to avoid all the hassles , shall I just visit another Civil Surgeon and not show him the Fragile X diagnosis . Unless the written diagnosis is there, no one can ever figure out that she has any such problem . does the current Civil Surgeon share anything with CIS directly ?

Just do as the original civil surgeon says; get the letter from your PCP. I don't think they're allowed to report specific details to USCIS outside of the I-693, but I wouldn't be surprised if they report to USCIS that you showed up for the I-693 exam and abandoned it.

Last edited by a moderator: