Medical and health insurance for older immigrants

dhirendra_sh

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I need your help in understanding health care insurance options for old age parents (new permanent resident who never worked in the USA - age more than 62 years).

Specifically, I have following questions in mind:

1). Can i buy health care insurance for my parents (new permanent resident who never worked in the USA) ?
2). Medicare options (new permanent resident who never worked in the USA) ?
3). Medicaid options (new permanent resident who never worked in the USA) ?

Thanks,

1. Yes, but practically impossible to find an insurance company which will sell insurance to people older than 60 years. Even if you find one, it will be very very expensive.
2. They can buy into medicare but only after living in the US for 5 years as premament residents.
3. No. Immigrants are not covered under medicaid for first 5 years.

Some insurers offer a "bridge" insurance which provides coverage for up to 5 years until one becomes eligible for buying into medicare. Please read the brochure carefully, they DO NOT cover any pre-existing conditions. For elderly, almost any medical condition will be pre-existing, for example heart related conditions.

Interesting question you posed about health insurance. Does this mean that they can be granted a greencard before proving health insurance? I am looking at the possiblity of apply for a greencard for my mother, however i am not sure how the insurance thing works. She is 62 turning 63 this year. Thanks for any pointers you might share with me.

Interesting question you posed about health insurance. Does this mean that they can be granted a greencard before proving health insurance? I am looking at the possiblity of apply for a greencard for my mother, however i am not sure how the insurance thing works. She is 62 turning 63 this year. Thanks for any pointers you might share with me.

Health insurance is not a requirement for getting a green card. ther is a medical examination required to ascertain the immigrant does not carry any communicable diseases.

Once they arrive in the US with a green card, they (like most Americans) will need access to health care and therefore will need health insurance. New immigrants are not eligible for goverment insurance programs like Medicare but the new ACA (Obamacare) provides the option to purchase affordable insurance through state run health exchanges beginning Jan 2014.

Will Obamacare provide insurance options for new immigrants who are senior citizens and not eligible for medicare/medicaid?

Yes, all legal residents will be eligible to buy health insurance without worrying about pre-existing conditions. FOr seniors aroung 65 years old, it will cost a few hundred dollars per months.

Check your state's insurance exchange website or click on your state in the following link to learn more:

http://statehealthfacts.kff.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=962&cat=17