MC TN Status Declined. Just Sharing

Aamir1

I migrated to Canada 10 years ago and worked at a large local bank for 8 years, followed by two years of independent contracting. I secured a firm offer from a bank on the west coast and we coordinated creation of quite an organized set of docs--- cover letter, support letter, offer letter, degree eval, experience/reference letter from local bank, bank brief. I took two binders, one each with originals and copies. Here's what happened:
  • From the immigration window I was taken to an empty room. After 15 minutes a homeland security person entered in and asked me where were my mom and dad born. I told him Pakistan, and that they were deceased now. He wrote it on a plain paper and left
  • After 15 minutes I was then taken to the main hall (secondary) with agents working behind the counter. I was assigned to one of the agents
  • I handed him the petition, which he was not interested in seeing nor the paper work, just asked me my work background and where I was going
  • He asked me to show the offer letter specifically, which I took out from the petition binder for him. He asked me to wait on a seat in the hall while he read the offer letter
  • He called me in 20 minutes and declined
  • I asked respectfully the reason, he first pointed to the title, 'Product Management Director (Management Consultant)' on the first page of the cover letter of the petition. Then the job duties inside the offer letter. Then concluded I was going as a product "manager". I explained how the role duties were truly those of a management consultant as well the nature of employment contract, which is that of an independent contractor and can be ended any time. He asked me for my resume, which was not part of the petition binder. I showed him my local bank's experience letters. He pointed out how I was a senior manager in the past at the bank, underlining the word 'manager' in my reference letter. I told him how my duties and accomplishments at the bank were relevant as opposed to my title there. He refused. I told him how I was working as an independent contractor after the bank for last two years and truly understand what management consulting work is. He said, "Yes, but that's only for 2 years, we need 5 years."
  • I asked him about criteria for Management Consultant based on education. He replied, either 5 year experience OR a bachelor's degree. I pointed towards the degree evaluation inside the binder, which he hadn't seen. He took his time to read through the degree evaluation, and asked me to show my original degrees, which I did. He had no real point against the degree, but he just disapprovingly mocked my institution saying, "What's Lahore University!"
  • I asked him if this is not approved, then what usually gets approved? He said my job should be with a true management consulting company like Oracle, Deloitte, etc. This bank is not hiring me as a management consultant. He also refused to call and confirm anything with the hiring bank's HR.
  • I was finger printed, and given Form I-275. I wasn't given a specific reason in writing for denial, only verbally.
  • He also said, "Find a job in your own country!" and, Everyone wants to get in the US!"
Quite disappointed to say the least.

ALWAYS ask for a supervisor, especially since no reason was given.
If you show up next time with a lawyer, you will get it.

Thanks. Didn't think of supervisor, he might not side with the agent, but who knows. I didn't know lawyers can accompany too.
Is his objection on 2 year independent contracting work experience vs. 5 year requirement not valid? why?

Thanks Nelson. Have gone through the link. If I get the job description brushed up further and revised now, will that not raise a flag in my second attempt?

You had to change something! Otherwise you are just showing up with same petition, which would be viewed worse, like trying to sneak through.