Max stay outside US after GC

Appu123

Registered Users (C)
I got GC after 5 years, now would like to spend relaxed time in India. My family want to stay there for 6-8 months (If possible). How long one can outside US with out applying re-entry permit?

AprilGC said:
I got GC after 5 years, now would like to spend relaxed time in India. My family want to stay there for 6-8 months (If possible). How long one can outside US with out applying re-entry permit?

It's always good idea to get re-entry permit. Normally USCIS does not bother for the first re-entry permit - if you show valid reason. Spending some with old parents after long non-stop/fast-paced professional career is certainly a good reason.

You will find lot of information and discussion on this subject in the "Life After GC" forum (link provided below) .After approval, we should be visiting that forum for post GC immigration issues. To the best of my knowledge (almost sure based on real life experiences of friends), you can stay away from the country upto 1 year without the re-entry permit, but you should not be out of the country for more than 6 months in a calendar year (there might be exceptions). So you can leave in July and come back in next year June. Some people do that. At the port of entry, they will ask you proof that you have not abandoned the GC and you should have good proofs.

Here is the link to the Life After GC forum :
http://www.immigrationportal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118