Math, not computer science is ok to get TN visa

hualoutang

Hello,

My Master's degree is Statistics, and my Bachelor's degree is Mathematics. Is it possible for me to apply TN visa for System Analyst job?

Thanks and Regards,

I got a software developer job / system analyst, and the new employer gave me a TN letter for me apply a TN visa using my math degree. Is it ok?
Thanks a lot!

Can you read? You need a MATH job, not a CSA job.
I got it. It seems like I cannot get a TN visa for this compuater analyst.
I will give it a try, and update the result here, as I believe Math can be used to do everything.

Thanks again for your time.

See this link:
google tn-visa-approval-for-software-engineer-with-degree-in-math
You can find the following one.

TN VISA APPROVAL FOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER WITH DEGREE IN MATH
TN Visa Case Info. Background:
The applicant, a citizen of Canada, was offered a position as a Software Engineer. We reviewed the position offered and the applicant’s credentials. Based on its job duties, we believed the position could be classified under the Engineer TN category. Although he did not possess a degree in Software Engineering, we believed the applicant could qualify based on his Math degree. This was the individual’s first TN visa application.

TN Category:
Engineer

Job title / duties:
The duties of this Software Engineer position involved the design, development, and support of software that would operate the petitioner’s unique printing machines.

With Software Engineer TN applications, it was important to establish that the applicant was not primarily engaged in “low-level” coding/programming duties. USCBP believes that a position involving a majority of coding/programming tasks is not a professional-level Software Engineer role, and would not qualify for TN visa status.

Education:
The applicant possessed a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and had taken some computer science courses during his degree program. He had over 25 years of experience, and also was awarded several patents.

Establishing that the applicant qualified for the TN based on his credentials was the critical component of this case. While the TN regulations do not state what type of Bachelor’s degree may qualify for a Software Engineer TN some U.S. immigration officers have held that only a degree in Software Engineering could qualify for this TN category. I believe these decisions have been based on an incorrect interpretation of legacy U.S. immigration memos

In order to address this issue should it arise, in addition to the applicant’s transcripts and patents showing his prior computer training and skills, I included in the application (i) materials showing that a degree in the TN category is not required; (ii) the Occupational Outlook Handbook, which listed a degree in Math as an appropriate credential; (iii) U.S. immigration decisions approving applications for Software Engineer positions for individuals with degrees outside of the field including in Math; and (iv) other industry research showing a degree in Math was suitable for the position.
Filing Process:TN visa status application @ USCBP - Buffalo, NY
time:Approved same day filed
Approval period:3 years

So? You aren't applying for an Engineering TN. AND, I would bet that the next time this applicant went for a TN he would have been summarily denied.

He got in due to a lazy officer not wanting to argue with an aggressive lawyer. Showing patents and experiences is completely inappropriate to a TN application in Engineering.

But as I always say, only the border can tell. don't quit your current job

To update the result:
I got TN visa easily at airport, and they did not ask anything related with my major and so on.
They asked very simple questions.

I got it at airport pearson. You need to prepare all the required documents, read through the job requirements, and try not to tell too much about unrelevant expeirence.

As Hualoutang says, focus on the petition QUALITY not the venue. A poor petition will be rejected anywhere. A good, complete one will be accepted anywhere.

I got it. It seems like I cannot get a TN visa for this compuater analyst.
I will give it a try, and update the result here, as I believe Math can be used to do everything.

Thanks again for your time.
Hey guys! Quick update on this.. I had an MCA and MSC in Math. The visa officer asked for my MCA degree.. long story short.. since i got MCA my degree certificate 2 years from the exam (many reasons for this.. 1. They gave the provisional certificate very late. and I was in the US by then. I had applied for convocation late and hence the degree certificate came late.. ) the visa officer was not convinced. Then he looked at my Math degree and asked me how many masters I have? I told him I have two. He checked my Math master's and then took my MCA degree for documentation. So the point that I trying to make is they do accept math degrees for CSA jobs. Please don't lose heart or get confused by the above post saying you need to have only a Math job for math masters. I know every case different. But the above post does not clarify and causes confusion for math degree holders. Hope this post of mine helps and gives you the strength to move forward with your TN vsia application! Again i is from my experience and legal advice.

Thank you very much for updating. I am in same scenario. M.Sc. in mathematics and going for computer analyst job. Can you please share checklist for TN visa . I am newbie here.