Married on K-1 visa, now seeking divorce

usalady62

I brought my fiance over on a K-1 visa, only to find out that he basically used me to get into the country. He physically abuses me, refuses to work and has even started sending love letters to other women online. He has not yet received his green card. I want to get a divorce but wonder what the legal ramifications are, and what my resposibilities finacialy will be, see as how I have spent most of my savings supporting him while he was in his home country as well as all the legal documents he needed to get over here. I'm really in emotional turmoil and don't want to have an even greater fiancial burden than I already have........ Anyone know/have been through similar situation? If I do decide to get the divorce will I have to pay him alimony? he doesn't work and hasn't for 7 of the 10 months he's been here............

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Uslady,
I really sorry about your situation. I already answered some of your questions here http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=202682
Most likely you will have to pay court fees for a divorce, but nothing more for his mitigation staff once you withdraw your I-130 application. Although… bringing your spouse here on K-1 visa, I am not sure you had to file one. Did you? The bad part about K visa is – you might not even have to go for AOS interview. In some cases interview for K applicants are waived and GC is send by mail, but not always.
So you definitely have to let the USCIS know you filed for divorce and not supporting him anymore.
About the alimony part - nobody can answer it here for you, without knowing more details, but even so – you better talk to a divorce attorney. There is a stipulation in divorce procedures about alimony, you can always waive a right to it from one another. But again – talk to the attorney about it.