Marriage to US citizen and divorce I-751 issues

ajafry

Hi,
I was married to a US citizen and had my temporary GC. Applied for removal of conditions, while I was waiting for the interview or approval we got divorced (this was about 2.5 years after I got my temp. GC). My lawyer sent an amendment to the application by stating that I was divorced and included the required documentation (but no new fee).

My interview got scheduled, I goto the INS office (along with my lawyer) and they tell me that I need to file a new I-751 and that they will put me as a "no show". They stamped my passport for 1 more year of valid travel and work. I re-applied. Now I called the INS to find out the case status and they said that they do not understand whats going on. They said that my application is now at the bottom of the pile and will take its due time. They even say that I should not travel (even though I have receipt from them saying that my card is extended for a year and have a stamp on my passport).

Question, is there anything I can do to speed up the processing? Once I get my interview and hopefuly am granted the permanent GC, would I be entitled to apply for citizenship during or before that (its going to be 5 years since I got my temp. GC).

Any advice anybody can give?

thanks much.