marriage on student visa?

agniesica

Registered Users (C)
In 2003 I came to USA on J-1 visa. Before my visa expired I applied for student visa and I changed my visa status. In the meantime I met wonderful man and I fell in love with him. Two weeks ago we discovered that I am pregnant!!! He wants to marry me, but we don't know what to do in this situation. If I come back home I will lose my student status. What shell we do, may he marry me in US?

Sam

He can marry you here, but I think you'd have to go back to your home country, get married there, produce a marriage certificate as proof and then re-enter the US on a K or similar visa. You would lose F status at that point. I am not sure if you can get married here and then change status. Ask someone who is more qualified. This is my educated opinion - and nothing more. :D

yes, you can adjust your status to that of permanent resident from a student status (f-1, m-1, j-1). Do not need to leave the U.S. Visit www.uscis.gov for a list of forms and fees that need to be submitted.

You most certainly dont loose your F1 status by getting married here.

If you have been here on F1 status for more than 2-3 months there shouldn't be repercussions from getting married. There is a danger if you come here and one week later you get married, the service might doubt your intent to actually study.

If your husband is a citizen he can sponsor you for permanent residency, you don't necessarily have to leave the country for that process to go through (it might however be a good idea to do so, depending on the circumstances).

Talk to a knowledgeable attorney, don't bet your future on information from an internet BB or even information from the USCIS website.