Marriage in India

watttever

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,

My fiance is a US citizen and we plan to do the ceremonial marriage in India on Jan 4.

Is it possible for me to apply for the green card sometime in October ( after a registered marriage) and still be able to travel to India in December??

Issues -

1. Is two months enough time to get Advanced Parole?
2. If yes, Is ceremony an important enough reason to be granted Advanced Parole?

3. What is INS sends me fingerprint dates when I'm in India? I mean how long does it take to re-schedule or are there any other issues??

4. My employer might lay me off this week! Is it advisable to go for Fiance Visa and get married (ceremonial) in India rather than starting the GC and get stuck here?

Your help is truly appreciated.
Thanks
nitin

Hi Nitin,

you can get married in the U.S. and file for Adjustment of Status.

1. INS usually takes about 60-90 days to process an advanced parole application. If you are lucky you can get it in a day.

2. Advanced Parole is a document which grants you permission to leave the U.S. on a temporary basis while your application is being adjudicated. A Marriage purpose / visit family back home are good enough reasons.

3. You get your fingerprint notice atleast 3 weeks before your appointment date. If you are unable to make the appointment they have alternate days when you can get fingerprinted.

4. If you are in the U.S. I would suggest that you go for the wedding in the U.S and apply for adjustment of status and then travel to India. The Fiance visa takes time but your AOS application will be processed faster if you file it here.

Hope this helps and all the best

Sachin

Thanks Sachin,

My only remaining query about the process is -

Do I need to wait for the approval of I-130 petition before applying for Advanced Parole?

Thanks again
Nitin

Nitin,

The answer to that would be no. You dont have to wait for the I-130 approval to file for your Advanced Parole.

Sachin