LPR Continuing US Work Overseas Remotely

Hello All,

If you can answer the following question I’ll really appreciate it, thank you so much for your time.

I only know you on this forum @Sm1smom and @Britsimon so I’m tagging you for that purpose, I apologize if you don’t respond to generally questions like this.

I’am a PhD student with an LPR status and wanting to visit my parents in my home country for 3 months. I’m half time employed at my university as a Graduate Research Assistant and my duties are pretty much as long as you have a computer you can work from anywhere. My school allows for working from anywhere by filling out a form called “Change of Duty Station” but with that they update my work location and address as my home country. I was wondering if I continue my US job from my home country, would that be considered as abandoning my green card? Technically I still keep strong ties with US as I’m continuing my US work just from outside US for a short period of time. Does all of getting out of US needs to be just simple vacations and as a green card holder am I expected to work for my US job only from inside the US?

Thank you so much for your time.

Last edited: