• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

lottery and starting life in the US

54belgo

Registered Users (C)
I have been asked to help somebody from Africa who won the lottery. A visa is available for her and all I have to do is send an affidavit of support. This is the last piece that she needs for her final approval for this visa. I also hear that she does not get a work permit to work in the US. Is that possible? How can the US deliver a visa to get in but not a permission for the person to work to support herself? In this case, am I the one who's duty is to support her with basic food-lodging and so on? Once this person leaves Africa and lands in th US, what is the procedure to get settled? will she ultimately get a permit? how long will it take? she is considered an immigrant, right? what is her status?does she have to apply for anything else like a possible green card and how long does it take to get one? would love to help but this seems like a little bit much to sponsor a person like this. Can anyone answer my questions, I appreciate it very very much!!! Thanks and good holiday to all.

54belgo

If you are to help your friend just help him/her it is true he will not receive a work permit but the moment he lands in usa she will receive a social security number and within a month he will receive his green card and i think you know that with a GC you don't need a work permit

thank you for your answer. I need to know a little more precisely how soon the green card becomes available to a person entering the US with a lottery visa. It is a question of survival for her AND for me. Does anybody know for sure? a month seems like a dream! Thank you anyway for the info.

re

after she get her immigration visa and lands in USA, the INS officer in the airport will stamp I-551 in her passport. It is as good as the actually green card. She can apply for a SSN with I-551. After that, she can start work. She dose not need work permit because I-551 stamp or green card is her work permit.

lottery winner starts life in the US

Your answer clarifies the whole thing. It makes sense. But why in this case does the person in Africa still need an affidavit of support from a person in the US since she is likely to find work right away and be able to support herself?
I have another question: how many affidavits of support can you do, let's say "per year"? I might need to use one for another person too and if I have only one chance, I'd rather keep that chance for this other person. I mean, can somebody from the INS at one point tell me : "well, you already did an affidavit of support for Miss X in January 2003 and now you are doing one for Mr Z in may 2003..... we can't accept that second one" (I am not rich of course and it would be hard to prove that with my income, I can support two people). Thank you for the answer and good Holiday to you all.