Lost my Certificate of Citizenship and can't renew my license

vincentn7g

Hi everyone,

I lost my certificate of citizenship a few months ago while moving and unfortunately I don't have a passport either. My drivers license has expired and the DPS wouldn't allow mw to renew unless I had proof of lawful residence which I don't have.

I will apply for a replacement as soon as possible, but I heard that process will take around 12 months. Is there anyway I can expedite this process or obtain any copies/documentation that'll help?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

How did you get US citizenship? Was it a Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization? Have you ever gotten a US passport in the past?

Which of these describes how you got US citizenship?
1. You were a US citizen at birth, born abroad to US citizen parent(s) who met the conditions to transmit US citizenship to a child born abroad. You later filed N-600 to get a Certificate of Citizenship.
2. You were a permanent resident (green card holder) under 18 living in the US with a US citizen parent. You later filed N-600 to get a Certificate of Citizenship.
3. You were a child of a US citizen, under 18, residing abroad, whose parent filed N-600K for you to go through the INA 322 naturalization process

Which of these describes how you got US citizenship?
1. You were a US citizen at birth, born abroad to US citizen parent(s) who met the conditions to transmit US citizenship to a child born abroad. You later filed N-600 to get a Certificate of Citizenship.
2. You were a permanent resident (green card holder) under 18 living in the US with a US citizen parent. You later filed N-600 to get a Certificate of Citizenship.
3. You were a child of a US citizen, under 18, residing abroad, whose parent filed N-600K for you to go through the INA 322 naturalization process
#2 I was a green card holder and my dad gained citizenship status before I turned 18.

You should just apply for a US passport. Present the evidence of your dad's US citizenship from when you were under 18, your old green card, your birth certificate and your parents' marriage certificate, to prove your relationship to your father and the custody. (Basically, this is the same evidence of US citizenship that you used to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship.)

You should just apply for a US passport. Present the evidence of your dad's US citizenship from when you were under 18, your old green card, your birth certificate and your parents' marriage certificate, to prove your relationship to your father and the custody. (Basically, this is the same evidence of US citizenship that you used to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship.)
They likely won’t have the old green card, USCIS asks for it back before they issue a N600. An old passport with a stamped immigrant visa would suffice as proof of admission as an LPR.

Okay, I will try that. Thanks for your help!

Do you not have your green card anymore?

How did you get a green card? Did you do Adjustment of Status in the US or did you enter the US with an immigrant visa?
When my kid got their passport/n600 we had to hand the green card back. (Both agencies asked for it, we had a letter from DoS to prove to uscis it had been handed in.) I assume OP (or OP’s parent) had to do the same,

I went through the same process Susie mentioned so I don't have access to my green card.

Are there any other documents that could prove LPR?

I went through the same process Susie mentioned so I don't have access to my green card.

Are there any other documents that could prove LPR?
An old passport with either a stamped immigrant visa or an I551 stamp would work. If you did adjustment of status an i797 notice of approval of i485 adjustment of status.

I adjusted my status in the U.S. I was actually able to locate my I-797, Notice of Action confirming the approval of my permanent residence application. However, I couldn't locate an old passport or i551.

I adjusted my status in the U.S. I was actually able to locate my I-797, Notice of Action confirming the approval of my permanent residence application. However, I couldn't locate an old passport or i551.
That‘s probably enough.
If you adjusted status your old passport wouldn’t have an immigrant visa.

Unfortunately, I received a notice today from passport services requesting for me to submit proof of my citizenship or proof of legal residence(if I haven't already obtained citizenship). I originally submitted the I-797, notice of action.

Do you think USCIS would be able to help me obtain documents proving my status?

Unfortunately, I received a notice today from passport services requesting for me to submit proof of my citizenship or proof of legal residence(if I haven't already obtained citizenship). I originally submitted the I-797, notice of action.

Do you think USCIS would be able to help me obtain documents proving my status?
Your father's Certificate of Naturalization + your parents' marriage certificate + proof of your permanent residence is proof of your US citizenship. What did you submit?

I submitted:
- both of my parents' Certificate of Naturalization
- parents' marriage certificate
- copy of birth certificate
- I-797, Notice of Action stating that my application of permanent residence was accepted (as I don't have a green card and my original Certificate of Citizenship is lost)
- and expired ID, university ID, and ss

I also attached the notice sent to me from Passport Services.

Attachments

• file.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 8