Losing Job on TN visa and switching to B1 status

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone can help me understand what needs to be done if I lose my job while on a TN visa and how to switch to visitor visa for myself and my dependent on TD visa. If I lose my job I just want to be able to buy some time to pack my things and make some arrangements.

nelsona

Registered Users (C)
Please do not ask for a specific responder, and be patient.

First, you have 60 day grace period in which you can leave, find another job, or switch to B2.

You switch to B2 by filing aN i-539, requesting B2 to "wrap up US affairs". You may ask for upto 6 months, but the expectation is that you will have resolved your status (either by leaving or getting another job LONG before then, as it takes months for the I-539 to be approved. You are merely filing to stay in legal status not to actually get the B2.

Do not leave US once you file I-539 or it becomes abandonned.

Please do not ask for a specific responder, and be patient.

First, you have 60 day grace period in which you can leave, find another job, or switch to B2.

You switch to B2 by filing aN i-539, requesting B2 to "wrap up US affairs". You may ask for upto 6 months, but the expectation is that you will have resolved your status (either by leaving or getting another job LONG before then, as it takes months for the I-539 to be approved. You are merely filing to stay in legal status not to actually get the B2.

Do not leave US once you file I-539 or it becomes abandonned.
Thanks for your quick response. I was in a difficult situation hence I tagged you. My TN status currently expired , but my current employer filed an i-129 for renewal before the TN expired. I have only received an I-797, not any response from USCIS. Would the same I-539 situation apply in this case?

nelsona

Registered Users (C)
Yes. You would include the I-797 as proof of filing I-129. You would only file I-539 if you get laid off, of course.