Living in the US, working for a company in Canada implications

amica

Hi,

I'm currently living in the US working for a global company. I have the GC for many years (I think I could apply for citizenship).
Out of the blue I was asked to work for the Canada branch of our company. However, it is a true Canada entity.
The plan would be that I would be visiting the Canada location for max two weeks out of the month. What are the implications? Tax, social security, GC status, Canada visa,..?
Could I be employed in Canada and pay taxes, social security in the US?

Hi,

I'm currently living in the US working for a global company. I have the GC for many years (I think I could apply for citizenship).
Out of the blue I was asked to work for the Canada branch of our company. However, it is a true Canada entity.
The plan would be that I would be visiting the Canada location for max two weeks out of the month. What are the implications? Tax, social security, GC status, Canada visa,..?
Could I be employed in Canada and pay taxes, social security in the US?

You will need a work authorization to work in Canada - this will be the first step. You will have to pay taxes in Canada too, if you work in Canada. You may claim foreign tax credit on your US tax return for the taxes paid in Canada.

OK. Is this true for consultants as well?
How is handled if one would stay employed with a sister company in the US?