List of Countries that require Visa after GC

abhimanyu

Registered Users (C)
Does anybody have list handy for the countries that require visa for visit even after GC. If this list is too long then may be list of countires that do not require visa.

Also does the above list changes after Citizenship.

This might probably help planning vacations / jobs that require travel outside US.

Cheers

With GC, one can enter the following countries w/o visa:
- Canada
- Mexico (?)
- Switzerland (Plastic required)
- Some Caribbean Countries (Bahamas, Bermuda, etc)

However, more countries will be on the list based on one's citizenship.

ps: I've seen conflicting messages on the Mexican Consulate Webpage. Not sure myself as to the current situation

Upstate_NY said:
With GC, one can enter the following countries w/o visa:
- Canada
- Mexico (?)
- Switzerland (Plastic required)
- Some Caribbean Countries (Bahamas, Bermuda, etc)

However, more countries will be on the list based on one's citizenship.

ps: I've seen conflicting messages on the Mexican Consulate Webpage. Not sure myself as to the current situation
Looks like you do not need a visa if you are a permanent resident, it definitely was NOT the case a year ago, I had to get a visa.

One may travel to Mexico with the plastic card as long as it is not for business. Usually not a problem...

On the Mexican consulate webpage, it states, you need to have your PASSPORT and the proof of green card.
So i nother words, just carrying the plastic card is not enough.

I think the question has to be clearer
No foreign country wil allow you to enter with just your GC (without a passport from your coutnry of citizenship/ a refugee document).

Some countries whcih would not allow citizens of certain countries in without a visa may allow them if they have American Permanent Resident Card/status
Apart from countries in the immediate vicinity of the US (canada, Mexico, Bahamas, etc) the only other country whcih allows this is Switzerland.

Canada does not require a passport. Simply showing the plastic card will suffice. I strongly advice you to carry one just in case though.

rgds
sadiq

It all depends on what your nationality is....
If you are a national of certain countries, you still need visa to Mexico even if you have a Green Card.

Sadiq is right. Going into Canada from the bridge in Detroit: no issues in US side, and look into my passport in Canada side. Going back to the US 3 hours later, no issues in Canada and a look at my PP in the US side. I asked the officer if I still needs the passport when I get the card, the answer was "not necesseraly". With such un-committed answer, taking one just in case, is the wisest thing to do.

A permanent resident does not need a visa to enter the US usually from neighbouring countries. Thequestion originally was whetehr other countires let you enter without a visa because of your having american permanent resiedence.
The answer to that is - it dependens on your contry of citizenship.

PR from India --- what countries dont require visa

Thanks everyone for ur feedback ...

Schandrag,
I am fron India ... Based on my country of Citizenship ... can u let me know which other countries do not require visa ... if GC and passport presented at POE of the respective country ... (apart from Canada, Mexico, Switzerland, Bahamas)

Thanks

As a Indian citizen you do not need a visa to Nepal. Sri lanka, Thailand and Singapore issue a visa in the airport when you land. Your GC from the US plays no role in this. Just your Indian citizenship.

Just wait a few more years, and as India becomes more propserous, more countries will open the doors. My prediction is that in 20 years most western nations will allow Indians to enter without visas (akin to Singapore today)

I also hear that if you are an Indian passport holder, you do not require a visa to visit most Caribbean countries ( GC or not).

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention

Jamaica and Bermuda are two countries in the Carribean that do not require visa for Indian citizens. Bahamas does. Trinidad will issue visa on arrival, Barbados requires visa.

This will make it complicated for the next world cup cricket in 07 in the carribean when tens of thousands of fans are likely to travel from India (like they did to S arfrica -30,000 indians went to the world cup) maybe they will all allow tourists without visas by then. if one has to get visas to each of these countries separately it will be a real hassle.