LIN number question

ign82

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys I was just curious if anyone knows if the LIN numbers are in any particular order. I've noticed some people mentioning that the first few number are actually the year of application. Is it true?

yeah, in my case, i applied in Oct 99 my receipt date was Dec 99 (FY 2000) so my LIn starts with 000 LIN000xxxxxxx
the other numbers do have a meaning too i just don't remember them, it is in this forum very well explained just search for it.

The receipts

The numbering system used on receipts has significance.

For most applications filed at a Service Center, your receipt may look like this: LIN 99 001 50001.
In this example, the LIN represents the Nebraska Service Center, where the application was initially received into the electronic system.

• The 99 represents the fiscal year (October 1, through September 30) in which the case was received.
• The 001 represents the computer workday in the fiscal year on which the fee was taken.
• The 50001 represents the particular case number.
For cases with particular case numbers starting with a 5, electronic case status information is available. For cases with particular case numbers starting with a 0, you must write to request the status of your case.

to lee_haircut5

The information above was copied form the INS website.
I have three I-485 and two I-131 cases in my web portfolio that I am currently watching updates for.
All of them start with 5.
Also all of them were filed in 2000 and later.
Maybe before 2000 they used different numbers? :confused:
I don’t have an answer to your question. Sorry. :(