Let me tell you about USCIS: The Crappy Agency

Publicus

Registered Users (C)
I sent my package via Overnight Express mail on March 14th. However, and of course without any surprise Crappy CIS did not pick it up till March 21. My money order has not been cashed in yet???? Now I have no way of knowing where my petition is or what the receipt number is?

Let me tell you about USCIS: the Crappy agency?

Just be patient...do you have any idea how many people are applying to become PR????
I sent mine certified mail and it took like 10 days for us to receive the notice with the receipt notice. If you're so aggreviated right now, I cant even imagine how you're gonna be in few months.

payala said:
Just be patient...do you have any idea how many people are applying to become PR????
I sent mine certified mail and it took like 10 days for us to receive the notice with the receipt notice. If you're so aggreviated right now, I cant even imagine how you're gonna be in few months.
Payala,
No one know better than publicus about WAIT and USCIS. s/he has gone long way together with USCIS in her/his Citizenship process. But still I don't understand why he did not write a personal check which is easy to track.

Publicus said:
I sent my package via Overnight Express mail on March 14th. However, and of course without any surprise Crappy CIS did not pick it up till March 21. My money order has not been cashed in yet???? Now I have no way of knowing where my petition is or what the receipt number is?

Hi Pub -
I couldn't agree with you more on the "crappy" part..
But, give it a week..
for them to cash the Money order. They usually are pretty good with money and you should get your receipt notice within 10 days.

Re: the comment asking to be "patient" -
These days it has become a trend for any one to ask any one - to be patient. But when it comes to their own case, they panic, act suuuper fast and ask for every one's suggestions, help etc.,
Before you advise any one to be patient, put yourself in their shoes -at least try to research when some one has 700 + posts to his credit, obviously he'd had a long history with USCIS.

Publicus said:

My dear friend.

I remember clearly that I've advised you to send your package Priority Mail, not Certified Mail, not Express Mail

1. When you send Certified or Express to a P.O.Box is just a good chance that the delivery may be delayed.

2. Priority Mail is delivered in 2 days anywhere in the continental US, and you can track it down on USPS's website ;)

Well, I'm trying to educate you, but the material I'm working with is not too good :D

I sent my package, Priority Mail, on 03.06.2006
They cashed my checks on 03.14.2006 and may package was received on 03.08.2004 (six days earlier) so, I don't know how it works with money order, but (to make Jenimmi happy :p ) I suggest: be patient, it is going to take a while until you see your MO cashed (probably close to the end of the month)

For the record:
I agree with your thread title:

"Let me tell you about USCIS: The Crappy Agency"

Last edited by a moderator:
Suzy977 said:
I remember clearly that I've advised you to send your package Priority Mail, not Certified Mail, not Express Mail

some people just won't listen and blame it on whoever but themselves

ive had no problems with certified "return receipt requested".! you could push it uop to priority if your in a rush or have a deadline you could do overnight but always RRR!

eric v said:
ive had no problems with certified "return receipt requested".! you could push it uop to priority if your in a rush or have a deadline you could do overnight but always RRR!

I think RRR is useless. Just for the sake of the argument explain to me what's the benefit of having RRR, in what situation, any situation, RRR is a better option :confused:

1. You should have asked for a return receipt.
2. You should have used personal checks.

Why blame the USCIS for your ignorance ?

Ema.

ema76 said:
1. You should have asked for a return receipt.
2. You should have used personal checks.

Why blame the USCIS for your ignorance ?

Ema.

He asked for return receipt. And I believe this is a mistake.

It's good to send the package in a way that you can track it but I don't think return receipt is a good idea especially when you send it to a P.O.Box ;)

Like I've asked "eric v" I'm going to ask you too, how can you justify the advantage of the "return receipt"
:confused:

ADDENDUM:

Seeing Anahit on line I anticipate a possible scenario, and I have to specify: RETURN RECEIPT FOR INITIAL APPLICATION, not for RFE or something similar!

Everything I sent to the USCIS so far was priority mail. You spend $4.05 to send everything using the flat rate envelop and $.50 to track, the first batch that I sent was mailed on 12/31/05 and the RD was 01/02/06! Pretty good huh? And I spend less than $5 :)

lakelady said:
Everything I sent to the USCIS so far was priority mail. You spend $4.05 to send everything using the flat rate envelop and $.50 to track, the first batch that I sent was mailed on 12/31/05 and the RD was 01/02/06! Pretty good huh? And I spend less than $5 :)

Exactly what I've done, and my package had 1 lb. You even don't need to pay the $0.50 for tracking, since Priority Mail has its on tracking number you can check on USPS website. The big envelope arrived in 2 days. Safe, secure and you can track it on line for only $4.05 ;)

In fact why we need certified mail for an additional $2.30 if we can use delivery confirmation for like $0.5 or so? What extra feature does certified mail provide?

I used certified mail for all AOS applications & tax return (IRS & state tax) since my attorney & accountant recommended. After reading this post I have a feeling that I've been ripped off by USPS for many times :cool:

jenimmi said:
Hi Pub -
I couldn't agree with you more on the "crappy" part..
But, give it a week..
for them to cash the Money order. They usually are pretty good with money and you should get your receipt notice within 10 days.

Re: the comment asking to be "patient" -
These days it has become a trend for any one to ask any one - to be patient. But when it comes to their own case, they panic, act suuuper fast and ask for every one's suggestions, help etc.,
Before you advise any one to be patient, put yourself in their shoes -at least try to research when some one has 700 + posts to his credit, obviously he'd had a long history with USCIS.
If I told him to be patient it wasn't a comment against him or to offend anyone. But lets be serious, it's a government agency, of course everything takes forever to go through. You are right, we all have our things that we worry about and post a message for help but we all need to understand that this process takes time. It took me a while to get this but now I'm even amazed by how fast things are going. I didn't think I was gonna get my receipt notice after 10 days or my fp appt after a month. I just don't think we all have to search the forum for a username to check if they have posted other threads before. Sorry, I didn't know he had a history with the AOS process but after all he went through,he should know what kinda time-frame and problems the process brings to everyone.

princesskate said:
In fact why we need certified mail for an additional $2.30 if we can use delivery confirmation for like $0.5 or so? What extra feature does certified mail provide?

I used certified mail for all AOS applications & tax return (IRS & state tax) since my attorney & accountant recommended. After reading this post I have a feeling that I've been ripped off by USPS for many times :cool:

Under certain circumstances Certified Mail in useful and necessary. For example: When CIS sends you a RFE. Always reply with Certified Mail. If later they claim that they didn't receive the requested docs. you should have proof of delivery with signature.
But my question was: What's the purpose of sending the initial application via Certified Mail? NONE, except for, maybe, spending more money and delaying the process. If they claim that they didn't receive your application and you have a Certified Mail receipt what are you going to do? Are you going to say, "I don't care, find them, I have proof that I sent the package?!?!" Of course not. You are going to start putting everything together again and send another package, and the Certified Receipt...use your imagination what you can do with it ;)

One more thing: Best example, Publicus's case.

Publicus said:
I sent my package via Overnight Express mail on March 14th. However, and of course without any surprise Crappy CIS did not pick it up till March 21.

If it was Priority Mail in less that 48 hours the package was delivered. Even if it was regular First Class mail it was delivered in 3-5 days. But with Receiving Signature, USPS left a note at CIS's P.O.Box, and whenever a big fat lazy CIS employee decided to go to Post Office to get the mail...that was the delivery date :rolleyes:

Now I understand why my husband insisted to send it thtrough certified mail. I kept bugging him that he should send it overnight express with fedex but I guess it's better this way. His dad insisted that important documents shoud always be sent through certified mail so even though I convinced my husband to send it through fedex, his dad was the one who shipped it...big THANKS to him.

payala said:
If I told him to be patient it wasn't a comment against him or to offend anyone. But lets be serious, it's a government agency, of course everything takes forever to go through. You are right, we all have our things that we worry about and post a message for help but we all need to understand that this process takes time. It took me a while to get this but now I'm even amazed by how fast things are going. I didn't think I was gonna get my receipt notice after 10 days or my fp appt after a month. I just don't think we all have to search the forum for a username to check if they have posted other threads before. Sorry, I didn't know he had a history with the AOS process but after all he went through,he should know what kinda time-frame and problems the process brings to everyone.

First of all, I was speaking of the general trend in the forum...
And you didn't just stop with saying "Be patient"..
you went on to say this..
payala said:
...do you have any idea how many people are applying to become PR????
If you're so aggreviated right now, I cant even imagine how you're gonna be in few months.
Almost everyone here knows about the general delays with a governmental inst. like USCIS. Knowing all that, if someone still sounds "impatient" it's because of their prior experience with that inst. and may be they compared similar cases to theirs and there's a reason to their post. So, before any one starts off with a "Be patient" sort of sermon, at least pay attention to who is posting.

And you don't need to do a research on the userid to know how many posts they made. If you look at the top right corner of each post, it says how many posts were made by that user.

payala said:
WOW, don't attack me here. I'm not gonna fight with you. No need for that.

I have better things to do than fighting or attacking some one.. like dealing with the USCIS.
But I couldn't keep mum after you started justifying your post and the "institutional delays" of USCIS.

rex1960 said:
some people just won't listen and blame it on whoever but themselves

Is this the Eastern German dude with attitude I heard about. As far as I know I am applying for no German immigration benefits so I don't understand why he/she is commenting on my AMERICAN situation with an attitude.