Length of Wait Time Start to Finish for GC

BrendaJoe

Has anybody had any experience lately with the wait time for a Spousal Visa. Canadian married to US citizen, temporarily living in Mexico and will be using Consular Processing in Montreal. Thank you

Hi Brenda,
I am a H1B visa holder, born in Canada (from Montreal) and married a US citizen.
It took 11 months from the moment USCIS received our application in august 2016 until the interview in july 2017.
My situation is different than yours as I had been working and living in the States for over 5 years and had been dating my husband over 2 years before we got married.
I do not understand why you are waiting in Mexico and not back home in Montreal.

Thank you Julia. I have been living in Mexico since 2001 taking care of a property, living rent free. I met my future husband about 4 years nd he moved down here with me and we were married on a vacation trip to the US over a year ago. I understand that you will get a 10 years GC if you have been marrried 2 years or more. So that's why we are waiting. We could do consular processing in Juarez, but it is too dangerous so we want to go to Montreal instead. We would just wait it out there until approved.

Brenda- one of the criteria to have the green card, is your husband has to prove he can support you when both of you live in the US. If both if you are working in Mexico to have rent free.. well Brenda it seems to me you don t even meet the first criteria!
I highly recommend you hire an attorney to guide you through this process. Good luck!