Leaving job after GC

lil_joe

Registered Users (C)
How long after 485 approval can you leave the sponsoring company?

I want to make sure there are no questions asked during citizenship time

AC-21 and 6 months after 485 - how does it relate

lil_joe said:

Well this has been debated umpteen times on this board and the general view is that 6 months is definitely safe to change the job. The point I would like to ask gurus here is this:

AC21 allows change of jobs to similar Industry (wont make the mistake of calling this "Area" as AmercianWannabe did a few days back:)) after 6 months of filing I-485 provided I-140 is approved. So why in the world would this condition become not applicable if ones I-484 is approved? Why would they then have to wait another 6 months or so to change the job? Can personal reasons such as getting married be used to overcome the prior good intention of working in the same company even after green card?

Most debated topic but still not clear to most people cause of no evidence from citizen interviews to back up either side of argument.

I check with my attorney, there is nothing like you have to stay with employer for six months or more after getting GC, all you have to do is be with him for 6 months after filing I485 that is more than enough

Last edited by a moderator:
agc2005 said:
I check with my attorney, there is nothing like you have to stay with employer with six months or more after getting GC, all you have to do is be with him for 6 months after filing I485 that is more than enough

if it is a similar job, i believe that your lawyer is right. but if it is a different job, it might be different.

what I heard is, the openion of immigration attorneys may be generic when they issue open statement in web, it is always advisible to chat them one-to-one to get the specific answer which will be more appropriate. try not to chat with your company's attorney.

lil_joe said:

Just leave it , its just a job, not a life/wife... Why bother so much?? :D :D

qwertyisback said:
Just leave it , its just a job, not a life/wife... Why bother so much?? :D :D

you can take decision about job.

but life/wife you can't take decisions, gone means gone, no control :D :D :D