Landed Immigrant - H1 Visa stamping

ldmello

Registered Users (C)
Hi All

I will be landing in the end of June..and will go for my H1 visa stamping. I was studying in the US and do not have a degree yet, but I have my transcript which says that I have completed the credits required. I will get my degree only in Dec. I will be getting a letter of completetion also.

Will this be a problem? I have employers letters etc and paystubs.

Can I land in Toronto and then apply for H1 visa in Qubec City?

can they ask me to go to India (my home country) even though I am a landed Immigrant?

Any inputs from you all will help greatly.

Ldmello

What does H1b Stampling have to do with your degree. If you have and Approved I -797 , you should be able to get it .

Am I missing something here

For Bhand11683

Hi Bhand11683....

.. thanks for the prompt reply.. yes, I have a valid I-797. I just wanted to know from other people's experiences..

I hope everything works out well.. as I have only 1 month to land and return to the US. I have sent my passport for stamping today.

I will keep you all posted on my experiences.

Regards

Ldmello

US Visa expereince

Hello All-

I landed on 06/02/03 ( Posted my Landing expereince). I already had an appointment for 06/03/03 for H1B visa.
I reported at consulate at 7:30 & was asked to wait till 8:00 AM. I had a nice break fast next door in a coffee shop.
I went through security & was asked to be in a Q. On my turn I have been asked to hand over passport + Forms + I-797 & to show only the proof of landing. I had my pic also from consulate in CND 5.00. While taking the pic in the machine make sure the level of the small red light in the frame in front should be just on top line of your head/hairs.
I was called at 9:00. The officer was very nice & he asked me following:

Location of work, My previous I797 approval, How long I am working for current, when I came to US, where is my family, why they are not aplying for H4 with me, my current employer I-129 file, he read the countries name which I visited in last 10 yrs & asked that did I visisted any other country other then those he read, Also asked that if I am a member of any organisation etc, where I completed my master (it was from London, UK, I beleive it is a big plus if you have a degree from Canada, US or UK/Europe), why you switched employer, where are you staying in US, where in Canada, finally he said your visa will be issued but we need to take clearance from Washington, DC..call us at some 416 # after 24 June & will come with this letter to get your visa stamped. I think I am from Pakistan & for all countries nationals needs to go for registration needs to get clearance from Washington & it is same where ever you apply for US visa. You have to wait for clearance. I already planned accordingly & leaving for Pakistan to spend my vacation time for 2 months.

Thanks & Good luck to every one.

Dear Sali,

I am a national of Pakistan in the same situtaion as you were before you appear for your interview. My question is after the visa interview wont they keep your passport? Is it ok to travel back to pakistan before you get your H1b stamp? I am just trying to understand the whole process since i would have to do the same pretty soon.

Please advice. You can even email me directly at
askme50266@hotmail.com

Thanks
Jack

S ali,
Can you post your final experiences. Did you get the visa approved after Jun 24th?.

It seeems like they gave you 3 weeks time and not 4 - 6 weeks as many people have suggested. Do you think they are doing background checks for all Pakistanis without exception? because your case looks like a very straight forward one.

Also were you without a passport all that time?

Your information will help me (and I am sure many others) a lot for my travel plans.
Thanks in advance.

zamana

Sali (and others),
I too am interested in your experience and whether you got your visa on the 24th. Also did you have to go through the special call-in registration while you were in the U.S.? Any chance that the consulate would waive the background check requirement if one has gone through the registration, or are they two seperate issues?

If one has the choice, is getting the visa in Canada quicker/easier than getting it in Pakistan?

I am Pakistani citizen on an H-1, but not a Candian landed immigrant.

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

All,

TCN's are allowed to apply in Canada for VISA. However one has to be prepared to stayback for a minimum of 3 weeks if one has gone thru spl. reg. process.

Landed.. and Visa interview completed.

Hi I landed without any problems on Canada day July 01.

Only questions asked.

1. Are you Married?
Me. No.
2. How Much money are you carrying? Show me.
Me.. here I s the official check.
Ok.. you are all set. He also made me sign the forms..

Took only 5 mins...with the immigration officer.

and even on my US Visa .. no questions were asked. I was from H-1 to F-1 back to H-1 (without a degree in hand)
only my I-797 and supporting docs were seen. Not a single question asked what so ever. I am to get my passport on monday. The only words I said were "Thank you .. and have a great week end!."

Please go dressed formally... It does make a difference... I thought so..

I need a place to stay for 3 days.. reasonably priced.. I heard about Jennys Accomodation can someone send me the Tel.# as the one in Rays.. post does not work.

Hello All-

After getting the date of 24th June to inquire abt my clearance from Washington DC. I thought to spend these 5 weeks in Pakistan with my Parents. So I went to Pakistan & came back yesterday. Will visit US consulate Toronto for Visa stamping as my clearance is "OK" done. Lets hope for the good.
Will update you guys tommorrow night.

Thanks,

Sali

Hello-

I apear before the US counsellor on 28th & he is kind to issue me a visa after asking that did I went out of Canada since I applied for US visa (2nd June). I said Yes, next Q. Why did U visited Pakistan? I said to see my parents. He said fine.
He also told me that if I loose my job in US then I must leave US with in 10 days else I will be out of Status.
I got the visa next day & travlled back to US via Windsor/Detroit border.
At border INS guys took my finger prints/Photograph & allow me to enter US. They ask me to show them the exit stamp from US. Which mean special registration country residents must get exit registration at the time of going out from US.

For any Q's send email at nisar61ali@hotmail.com

Regards,

Safdar

I applied on 2nd June & was asked to call back after 25th June to inquire abt Clearance from Washington DC.
I called on 26th July it was done but I was on vacation so went back to US Consulate on 28th July. Get my passport back on 29th July

Safdarali,

AS you were registered at the border when entering USA, you will need to go to the local INS office within 30 days and report there. This is what I have found from visiting local INS office after my trip to Canada. The rule of thumb is

1. you need to do report to the local INS office within 30 days of your entry date if you were registered at the border when you were entering USA.

2. You need to register at the border when exiting USA.

Hope this helps.
muntasir