Laidoff on TN

youyou

Registered Users (C)
Just got laidoff on TN.

What to do to keep staying in US?

My wife is on F1.

Can I do nothing, and find another job and change it to new TN?

... but you do need to switch. I would not simply do nothing.

You would not get B2 at the border (becuase you likley don't meet requirement for foreign abode), but f2 you can.

how to switch to f2 via mail ?

currently I am out of job, out to TN, and I want to switch to f2 by mail, am I out of status now?

I-539. Technically, if you did not have a derivative status, It would have been imperative to file for B2 immediately upon lay-off. But for a dependent status, and an I-94 that has not expired, you are probabaly OK filing for F2 now -- but don't wait.

Otherwise go to the border.

Is it good idea of ask HR of previous employer not to tell USICS I was laid off?

Or,

ask HR postpone several months informing USICS the layoff, then I will have much more time to find a new job and change to new TN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it good idea of ask HR of previous employer not to tell USICS I was laid off?

Makes no difference.

ask HR postpone several months informing USICS the layoff, then I will have much more time to find a new job and change to new TN.

Whether USCIS is informed of your layoff or not is irrelevant. You are out of status whether USCIS knows about it or not. Just switch to F-2 already and stop trying to beat the system.

Got it, thank you, Therealcanadian.

One more thing, if I file F2 via cross the border, do I still need to pay that $300 then?

I know that if I file the switch to F2 via mail, I have to pay $300, but I don't know if it is the case via border?

Sorry about my endless questions.

If I change to F2 via border, do I have to ask my wife's school to provide something to get the F2?

After changing to F2, do I have to inform my wife's school?

Sorry about my endless questions.

If I change to F2 via border, do I have to ask my wife's school to provide something to get the F2?

-- proof of your wife's status (F1)
You will need your marriage license/certificate as well.

After changing to F2, do I have to inform my wife's school?

-- No

BTW, do I need I-20?

My wife's school says I also need I-20 for my status switch, I am confused.

As far as I know, only candidates for F-1 status need the form I-20. The candidates seeking F-2 status will need their spouse's I-20 to support their application for F-2 status.

I am no expert on student visa issues, so you might want to get a second opinion - or ask your question to the school official.

BTW, do I need I-20?

My wife's school says I also need I-20 for my status switch, I am confused.