LA interview approved.

malli

Registered Users (C)
Hi All:

I am happy to give the good news - mine and my husband\'s LA interview was approved today.

I did not post about our interview date since I was not sure whether interview will take place today. There was some confusion since my lawyer thought they have mistaken me for marriage-based base and had lost my husband\'s file : I had recieved the interview notice and my husband who is the principal did not receive it. Lawyer thought we will be sent back as soon as they realize it is employment based case.

Here is our odyssey:

Case details:
PD: February 1996
Labor approved: June 1999
I-140 approved: July 2000
I-485 applied: July 2001.
I-485 receipt dates: September 2001 (lawyer sent the wrong amount, so it took two months to receive the receipts)

Anyway, we went for the interview and it was pretty straightforward:

1) We were asked to take oath.
2) Then the officer asked for the driver\'s license, medical exam reports and passports. My driver\'s license had the old address, so he asked me to show the DMV change of address card.
3)Then he started interviewing my husband. He verified all the biographical information, father\'s name, mother\'s maiden name, city where he was born. He asked for the original birth certificate and compared them to the one he had.
4) He asked to see the original degree certificate.
5) Then he asked whether he was still with the same company and asked for the latest pay stubs. My husband also showed his company photo ID card.
6) Then he asked the standard question, whether any arrests, drug use or a member of any organization in India.
7) Then he said he is going to approve his petition and stamped his passport.
8) Then he asked me the same questions as my husband: mother\'s name, father\'s name and city I was born in. He asked to see the original birth and marriage certificates. He compared them with the copy he had.
9) Then he asked me what proof I have for the validity for our marriage. This is where he lingered on the most. I showed him some of our wedding pictures, bank account, tax return etc. Then he asked whether I have more pictures. Luckily I had taked my entire wedding album. I handed it over to him. He leafed through almost half of it. Then he asked whether we jointly own any property and we said yes. He asked for a copy of the title deed of our home. Then he said he is going to approve it and stamped our passport. He congratulated us and told us we had prepared very well.

Totally it took about 40 minutes.

We had organized all our paperwork into four different folders. If anyone needs any help on this, do let me know.

Ciba, thank you for your help and dedication to his site. Please do let me know if you need any help in organizing the stuff on your website.

I want to everyone who has contributed on this site and who has been with us through this arduous journey of six years - it would have been very difficult without you all.

thanks
malli

Congrats!

When was your case transferred to LA? When did you receive interview notice? Did you apply for 485 in July 2001 or 2000?

correction and more details

We applied for I-485 in July 2000 and not July 2001. Case was transferred in March 2001. Sorry about the mixup in dates.

Also, there is one more question which the officer asked us: When was the last time we entered U.S.

And soon after we took the oath, he took our fingerprints.

Missed these two details.

Good luck, everyone.

malli

No Title

Congrats on gettig the approval.
Hi malli, sorry for being poking,
        Did you get married within the last two years? ( or three) . My lawyer said one of the reasons to get an interview call is marriage within the last 2 years of applying for 485. Also , did you not give him the marriage certificate?

About medical, did you do a new medical or show him the old medical ?

I think it is a good idea to post about all the dosc you took in four different folders under ciba\'s personal experiences section

Thanks,
syngreeen

No Title

Thanks, syngreen.

We have been married for the last five years. Yes, he had the copy of the marriage cert. which he verified with the original. And we did a new medical since it was over an year since the last one.

I have no idea why were called for interview. We didn\'t bother asking the officer that question. He told us on his own that ours was an extremely simple case.

I will post in personal experience section soon.

malli

medical exam

Congraduations!

Isn\'t medical exam would valid once it is submitted? Or it would
expired after one year? I think it is valid once it is sumbitted,
Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

No Title

pinkpiggy:

I wish you all the best. Please try getting a second opinion from another lawyer. My lawyer said there is nothing special about the 6024 room number but he could be wrong. I was never impressed with him anyway.
malli

No Title

I am not sure about that at all. I didn\'t want to take any risk, so I did it second time around.

No Title

One of my collegues went for an interview. They did not have his medical in his file, although he had submitted it. Since he didnot have it in his file , he was asked to come back after two months wisth medicals. I am not sure if his medical had expired by then or not.

Congratulations, malli!

Can you speculate on how the officer would have reacted to not having one or more originals he asked for. I don\'t have my original marriage cert. No, I have not been transferred for an interview. Would help to know and use the info if ever needed. Thanks.

No Title

Can\'t say for sure. The officer came across as a no-nonsense and strict person. He did ask us for orig. marriage cert. I hope you have some good explanation for not having it. Is it hard to get, Dee Rod?

malli