L2 visa holder do not require EAD anymore?

pickle

Registered Users (C)
I came across this link in the forum but had heard of that before :

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500!opendocument#c1

The following sections list nonimmigrants, by alien class of admission codes, who are authorized to work in the U.S. without specific authorization from DHS. The person’s I-94 will not have the DHS employment authorization stamp and the alien will generally not have an EAD.

For those with a double asterisk (**) (non-immigrant E-1, E-2, and L-2 classifications), the spouse is also authorized to work without specific DHS authorization. The E-1, E-2, and L-2 spouse is not required to apply to DHS for an EAD card as documentary evidence of work authorization but may choose to do so. When the E-1, E-2, or L-2 spouse applies for an SSN card and does not submit an EAD as evidence of employment authorization, he/she must submit, in addition to evidence of immigration status, evidence of a marital relationship to the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien. The evidence of marital relationship between the applicant and the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien is a marriage document (indicating the marriage occurred prior to admission to the U.S. as an E-1, E-2, or L-2 non-immigrant).

Does anyone know about this?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
This statement from SSA cames up a couple of times on L and E section. I thought there was no conclusion made here whether it is really true or not. I think you should confirm with lawyers.

This statement from SSA cames up a couple of times on L and E section. I thought there was no conclusion made here whether it is really true or not. I think you should confirm with lawyers.

What are the chances that this policy statement from SSA, would be honored by company HRs? Is there anyone on L2, who was able to gain/continue employment without applying for EAD or as soon as applying for EAD?

pickle ---> Were you able to use this statement to your benefit?

Thanks.

As no one here was confirming whether it's possible for us to have employment without EAD (provided we have SSN or applied for it)

I have modified wikipedia page reflecting L-2_visa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-2_visa#Employment_with_L2_Visa

Hoping it will have more audience and if there was something wrong in that content , some one from authority start scrutinizing it .
Which I'll keeep posted.

--- ahmed

Ahmedyo,

Why would you post information on Wikipedia that you do not know is 100% factual?That is extremely irresponsible of you. If I were your employer and you did something like this at work, I would immediately dismiss you for such behavior.

Concerned

I'm not sorry

Ahmedyo,

Why would you post information on Wikipedia that you do not know is 100% factual?That is extremely irresponsible of you. If I were your employer and you did something like this at work, I would immediately dismiss you for such behavior.

Concerned

Hi,

Even I do appreciate your concerns. But being an open source programmer for sourceforge , I Think the whole idea of wikipedia was to have open/clear/definitive documents on wikipedia.
Having said that I have read all the documents of Social security Admin guidelines pertaining to L2 and wikipedia guidelines before editing any page irresponsibly.

When you say: " If you were not 100% sure , why would you do that ? "
I'm 100% sure after reading all the documents of ssa. and before writing it I also mailed all of the editors who were involved in writing L2 page intimating my reason.

Regarding you dismissing me , Wish we could work together at first place :) , because of this EAD issue. :confused:

P.S : did you really bothered to see my edit in first place.

Thanks and regards,
Ahmed Hussain.

With everyone i consulted i got the same response. "the law is not clear on this". In fact on consulting with an immigration lawyer, as my wife's EAD (L2 Visa Status) was expiring, he said that continuing to work is not a problem. If you actually read the USCIS Regulations where it states that the Attorney General "shall" provide employment authorization to L1 spouses in conjuction with what is stated on the SSA document it is apparent that EAD is not a requirement for L2 Visa holders. So i dont know where the doubts that L2 Visa holders definitely require an EAD comes from in the first place!! EAD as per them is an endorsement for your legal status to work but does not automatically mean that if an L2 is working without EAD or if the EAD has expired, it becomes illegal to work. I am not a lawyer, so legal opinion is a must as i am also in the same boat and i am seeking clarity and answers!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
With everyone i consulted i got the same response. "the law is not clear on this".

That seems to be the crux of the matter -- the law is unclear.

Without showing an EAD, the SSA will issue a Social Security card stating "valid for work with USCIS authorization" for spouses of L and E visa holders.

The USCIS rules clearly state that it SHALL authorize spouses to work at whatever job they like.

My layman's interpretation is that you will still need an EAD (and pay your fee) -- after all, it's the USCIS that authorizes you to work and not the SSA.

Until we get a definitive answer from the USCIS, we won't know.

Just my two cents. :)

Rocky

I am on an L-2 visa and i came to US in nov-07. My visa and I-94 are expiring in Augest-08, Can i apply for an EAD now. Is it possible to get the EAD successfully. i like to know some more valuable informations about this can anyone help me please ?....
===================================
William Patrick,

New York Immigration Lawyer Marina Shepelsky, located in Brooklyn, assists clients from the New York metro area and across the United States in all immigration and naturalization matters http://www.e-us-visa.com

I have a question about L2 vis aholder.

1. Read in one of the site that L2 Visa holder can apply for Green Card. Is this true ? If so what are the formalities and how far its valid?

2. Is it treated as a canditate with H1B applying for GreenCard ?

Any details about this topic is highly appreciable.

Thanks

Read in one of the site that L2 Visa holder can apply for Green Card. Is this true ? If so what are the formalities and how far its valid?

An L2 holder can apply for a Green Card (or be sponsored) for one just like any other alien. The non-immigrant status is irrelevant.

I thnik the experts (who are lawyers) are avoiding to answer the query on whether an L2 requires EAD, etc., because they are afraid of loosing business from prospective clients, or they are not sure of the law themselves.
what do u all other confused L2-EAD or L1- hubby's say?

Immigration Gurus,

Iam on L1 and it expires on June 2009, which can again be extended for 2 years.
My wife is on L2 and has her EAD which expires in June 2009.

I know my Co. ALWAYS does last minute things; in other words, they will start my visa renewal process only in May 2009 and not before that.

My question is
a) Does my wife also need to renew the EAD ? Asking this b'cos I read/hear that L2 no more need EAD to work.
b) Ok, if the answer to a) above is Yes, then can my wife renew her EAD before the visa renewal process starts
c) Ok, if the answer to b) above is No, then what documents my wife has to produce to her Employer so that she can continue to work without any interruptions.
d) In case there is a gap in getting the EAD renewed, ie if the renewed EAD comes to us by Oct, then can she still continue to work from July-Oct?

Thanks a million. I appreciate response.