L1B Job Loss procedure to change to visitor then to TN

sanderson82

Hi,

Whats the correct process following a L1B job loss. I was recently informed that my position would be no longer required at the end of this week. I am a Canadian, an Engineer, own my own home and my family is here.

1. How do I change my status to visitor, can I do this online? How long do I have?
2. If I can secure a new job, what do I need to tell the employer? I will be requesting TN visa status unless they are willing to do H1B. I have interviews lined up but I am not sure how to explain it to potential employers. Do I need to mention them I will apply for a TN visa for the position?

Thanks

This is something I'm also interested in. :) Thankfully I'm not in such a position, and am not "looking forward" to a job loss, but since I'll be staying on an L1 visa, I'm interested about any crisis management processes I may employ if anything happens.

I live in an EU state, and am eligible for the ESTA visa waiver program. If I were to lose the grounds of the L1 visa, would I be allowed to stay in the country for the three months granted by the waiver program, or would I have to leave the country immediately?
Since I read there is no grace period for L1 visas, how long does one have until getting on the wrong side of the authorities? I'd like to honestly be able to answer "no" to a question of whether I've ever over-stayed a visa even if something were to go wrong. :)