CDN-in-US

Hi All,

I am currently in the US working for Company A for the past 2 years on an L1A Visa valid till Mar 2022. I just recently got an offer letter by a new company B. I plan to apply for a TN visa via Peace bridge (Company B cannot maintain L1A)

Have a couple of queries.

1) I would need to give 2 weeks notice period to my company only after I get my new TN stamped. In other words, after I get the new TN status (I94), can I still work for the old employer for 2 weeks? I don't want to give my notice period before I get my new I94.

2) If I do not get my new TN (i.e gets rejected), do I still continue with my old L1A status with my existing employer.

Thanks

1&2. Changing status results in the inability to give notice once you get the new status, since you CANNOT have 2 different statuses at same time. This is common situation, when one goes from H1 to TN, for example. You will simply have to be sure of your TN petition and gobve notice before going to the border, or forego giving notice.

Same applies if you would apply for TN by mail. The instant it is approved, you are in TN and no longer in L1.

Your other choice, which would make Compny A suspicious, would be to ask to go on TN with them and then get the second TN.