L1A -- H1B approved - travelling outside

I think there is confusion.
Q&A you pointed to is talking about validity of petition, asking if my H1 is approved, will my L1 petition get invalidated. It is not regarding status which is we are talking about.
I hope you understand the difference between petition and status.

GotPR? said:
Please read the law as below.
http://www.uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dl...mplates&fn=document-frame.htm#slb-8cfrsec2483

8 CFR Sec248.3 (a) (b)

a) Change of status on Form I-129. An employer seeking the services of an alien as an E-1, E-2, H-1C, H-1B, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, L-1, O-1, O-2, P-1, P-2, P-3, Q-1, R-1, or TC nonimmigrant, must, where the alien is already in the U.S. and does not currently hold such status, apply for a change of status on Form I-129. The form must be filed with the fee required in § 103.7 of this chapter and the initial evidence specified in § 214.2 of this chapter and on the petition form. Dependents holding derivative status may be included in the petition if the form is for only one worker. In all other cases, dependents of the worker should file on Form I-539. (Amended 6/11/01; 66 FR 31107) (Amended 3/17/00; 65 FR 14774)

(b) Change of status on Form I-539. Any nonimmigrant who desires a change of status to any nonimmigrant classification, other than those listed in paragraph (a) of this section, or to E-1 or E-2 classification as the spouse or child of a principal E-1 or E-2, must apply for a change of status on Form I-539. The application must be filed with the fee required in Sec. 103.7 of this chapter and any initial evidence specified in the applicable provisions of Sec. 214.2 of this chapter, and on the application form. More than one person may be included in an application where the co-applicants are all members of a single family group and either all hold the same nonimmigrant status or one holds a nonimmigrant status and the co-applicants are his or her spouse and/or children who hold derivative nonimmigrant status based on the principal's nonimmigrant status. (Revised 2/10/94; 59 FR 1466)
Thanks GotPR for detailed reply! So it is clear now that I have to apply COS from L1 to H1 in order to start working for H1 employer if I do not wish to travel and get H1 stamped. It is also clear that I have to submit form I-129 for COS. I have a question about the fees:

INS fees to file I-129 is $190, but do I also have to pay the additional fees of $750 (< 25 employees)/$1500 (> 25 employees) + $500 (Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee) which I already paid with my original H1 application?

barterback said:
Thanks GotPR for detailed reply! So it is clear now that I have to apply COS from L1 to H1 in order to start working for H1 employer if I do not wish to travel and get H1 stamped. It is also clear that I have to submit form I-129 for COS. I have a question about the fees:

INS fees to file I-129 is $190, but do I also have to pay the additional fees of $750 (< 25 employees)/$1500 (> 25 employees) + $500 (Fraud Prevention and Detection Fee) which I already paid with my original H1 application?

here is the press release from USCIS regarding new fee.
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/newsrels/H-1B_050504.pdf
(I think $185 is now $190).
Your case is a bit not clear since you are applying to be employed by employer who already paid these fees for you, but I believe you probably need to pay full fee. If I remember correctly, the 1st extension with the same employer still needs to pay these fees(it will be exempt from the 2nd extension), so that i think you anyway will fall into category to pay full.

Last edited by a moderator:
GotPR? said:
I think there is confusion.
Q&A you pointed to is talking about validity of petition, asking if my H1 is approved, will my L1 petition get invalidated. It is not regarding status which is we are talking about.
I hope you understand the difference between petition and status.

The questions answers status issues and not petition.

barterback said:

barterback, please check with lawyer.... L1 to H1 cos goes towards new H1 cap... your current reg H1 petition MAY not be allowed for cos.....

SetMax said:
The questions answers status issues and not petition.
Since you are putting so much faith on Murthy.com, I'll quote something from their site. I won't comment on 60 days part because I couldn't find actual word in law so far. They are saying one must join H1 employer once status got changed(60 days later, they say) , otherwise, it is considered out of status.

Question: My wife got H1B approval notice. How long can she wait before accepting employment? Is there any specific time limit?

Answer: The law requires that one who has filed a change of status (COS) from H-4 to H1B commence employment no later than 60 days after obtaining the H1B approval. Since the last action of the USCIS is the approval of the COS from H-4 to H1B, the person is considered in H1B status. Failure to work will result in the person being considered out of status, and down the road, ineligible to obtain the I-485 approval if the time out of status is 180 days or longer. Jul-25-2005.

And here is another article from Attorney Oh's site.
According to this Q&A, memo from Effren Hernandez is about the change of employer within H1 status. It says if H1 petition is valid, one can change employer w/o filing transfer. However, it also says they apply "last action rule" strictly between different status'. If this is the memo Murthy is talking about, it might be possible that their office made their own interpretation on COS case, which, if so, is not CIS's stance.

Q-60 (03-09-2006): I have been working in H-1B status for several years. When I started H-1B status, two different companies filed and obtained H-1B petitions on my behalf. Out of the two companies, I chose Company Poor and worked with the Poor company. In March 2005, I left and returned to the U.S. and resumed my employment with the Poor company. H-1B was valid until January 2006. Unfortunately, I was laid-off by the Poor company and joined the Second company based on the existing approved H-1B petition which is valid until November 2006. I wonder whether I am out of status. What is my course of action at this time?
A-60: Your question involves two issues: One is whether you can continue a H-1B status when you change to a new employer that has already obtained H-1B petition for you simultaneously with your current employer. This often happens when you have two approved H-1B petitions and take one of the two jobs and move to the second job or after you move to the second job and return to the first employer. There is no specific regulation on this issue, but this issue has been handled by the opinion of Effren Hernandez, Director of Business Division of USCIS in Washington, D.C who opined that no matter how many approved petitions an alien has by different employers for the same alien, all of these approved petitions remain valid and the alien can change from one of these employers to another of these employers without filing a new H-1B petition.. Accordingly, there are many H-1B aliens who changed the job to the second H-1B employer and moved back to the first employer without filing a new H-1B petition. This rule applies when you remain in the United States. However, you have a different issue involving your overseas trip and returning with a new I-94. This is an issue of so-called "last action theory." According to this theory, I-94 status is determined by the "last action" taken by the DHS. For instance, if a H-1B alien departs with the Service Center approved H-1B approval notice with a new I-94 at the bottom changing from L-1B to H-1B or F-1 OPT to H-1B and returns from the overseas trip with a new I-94 issued by the immigration inspector at the airport giving L-1B or F-1 because of a number of issues, the I-94 which was issued at the airport is the "last action" of the DHS and it determines the alien's nonimmigrant classification as well as the duration of permitted stay in the United States. This last action theory has been strictly enforced for years by the legacy INS and the current USCIS or DHS when it involved a change of nonimmigrant status. However, they applied somewhat different standards when it involved not change of nonimmigrant classification but extension of the same nonimmigrant status or just change of employment in the same nonimmigrant classification. In these cases, the INS or USCIS have opined in various situations that such last action would not affect change of employment using a valid H-1B petition after returning from the overseas trip. The typical opinion involves John Brown letter which was written in response to this reporter's letter. This opinion appears to be followed by the agency. It appears that you case falls under this category. There is, however, still lingering unresolved issue as to how different officials will take it differently when the I-94 which was issued by the inspector at the airport constituted the "last" action of the government agency. Accordingly, just for safeside, you may feel comfortable by leaving and returning to the U.S. obtaining a new I-94 at the airport or port of entry. This can be achieved if you have a valid H-1B visa in your passport. If you do not, then you can still travel to Canada or Mexico and return within 30 days with a new I-94 issued at the time of returning. This should happend within 180 days before your Poor company's H-1B petition expiration date. There are some aliens who are not eligible for the automatic visa revalidation when one visits Canada and returns to the U.S. within 30 days. But India is not one of those ineligible nationalities. For the unsettled second issue, lawyers would recommend you to make such trip as soon as possible. Good luck.

barterback: I have sent PM regarding your COS.

Hey GotPR,
Now, I need a correct n perfect ans for these questions below:

1. Currently, I'm on L1 Visa but my visa & I-94 got expired in July 06 & the extension is applied before that. I've the L1 extension reciept no. with me &
it says that the application was received & is being in progress. Now, I've aleready applied for H1 through another employer B in May 06 & I got the H1 approved from employer B in Aug 06 valid from 1st Oct 06 till Sep 2008. Now, there is one more thing, I got the H1 approval but without I-94. In this case, what will happen to my L1 status starting from 1st Oct 2006?
Is my L1 going to be invalid after 1st Oct 2006? Am I going to be out of status?

2. If my L1 from employer A is valid after 1st Oct 2006 since L1 extension is filed, then how long my H1 through employer B will be in effect?

3. If my L1 extension gets approved in Dec 06 or even later since its in progress, then can I re-open the case to get the I-94 of H1 without leaving US?

4. In that case, If I get the I-94 from employer B, from which date should I join? For e.g. If I get the L1 approval in Dec 06 & if I re-open the case with these proofs & hopefully, if I get the I-94 of H1 in Jan 07, is there any particular timeframe within which I've to join employer B or can I join employer B even 2/3 months later after getting I-94?

GotPR, Waiting for your positive reply for each of these questions in detail!!!

Thanks

freephoneid said:
1. Currently, I'm on L1 Visa but my visa & I-94 got expired in July 06 & the extension is applied before that. I've the L1 extension reciept no. with me &
it says that the application was received & is being in progress. Now, I've aleready applied for H1 through another employer B in May 06 & I got the H1 approved from employer B in Aug 06 valid from 1st Oct 06 till Sep 2008. Now, there is one more thing, I got the H1 approval but without I-94. In this case, what will happen to my L1 status starting from 1st Oct 2006?
Is my L1 going to be invalid after 1st Oct 2006? Am I going to be out of status?
L1 is still valid.
You are under authorized stay based on pending L1 extension which keeps your stay legal. You are allowed to keep working for L1 job til Feb 07. If your L1 extension is still pending in Feb 07, you need to stop working as 8 CFR 274A b (20) prohibits the work beyond 240 days after I-94 expiration.
If L1 extension got approved before 240 days, there is no issue to keep working.
(b)(12) below indicates L1 category.

8 CFR 274A (b)(20)

(20) A nonimmigrant alien within the class of aliens described in paragraphs (b)(2), (b)(5), (b)(8), (b)(9), (b)(10), (b)(11), (b)(12), (b)(13), (b)(14), (b)(16), and (b)(19) of this section whose status has expired but who has filed a timely application for an extension of such stay pursuant to Secs. 214.2 or 214.6 of this chapter. These aliens are authorized to continue employment with the same employer for a period not to exceed 240 days beginning on the date of the expiration of the authorized period of stay. Such authorization shall be subject to any conditions and limitations noted on the initial authorization. However, if the district director or service center director adjudicates the application prior to the expiration of this 240 day period and denies the application for extension of stay, the employment authorization under this paragraph shall automatically terminate upon notification of the denial decision. (Revised 1/1/94; 58 FR 69217)

2. If my L1 from employer A is valid after 1st Oct 2006 since L1 extension is filed, then how long my H1 through employer B will be in effect?
Validity of H1 petition should be on I797 you reveived, but your status won't be changed to H1 as I-94 was not attached. Your status will remain L1.

3. If my L1 extension gets approved in Dec 06 or even later since its in progress, then can I re-open the case to get the I-94 of H1 without leaving US?
You may amend H1 petition, but I'll leave this matter to lawyer as this is more like interpretation rather than clearly stated law.
One arguement is whether you case comes under quota or not. I saw a case that somebody transfered the approved H1 to another employer before H1 start date(before being H1 status), and got approved 10 days ago w/o quota issue. The thread is on H1 section of this forum. It MAY not come under quota, but you should talk to lawyer for this.

4. In that case, If I get the I-94 from employer B, from which date should I join? For e.g. If I get the L1 approval in Dec 06 & if I re-open the case with these proofs & hopefully, if I get the I-94 of H1 in Jan 07, is there any particular timeframe within which I've to join employer B or can I join employer B even 2/3 months later after getting I-94?
This comes to 60 days rule that is stated in website. As I mentioned, I looked for this provision in INA and 8 CFR a few months ago, but I couldn't find it there. That might be under other law.
You had better talk to lawyer for this rule.

BTW, provided you received I94, your status won't change upon approval of I94, but will change upon start date stated on I-94(I-94 has validity period printed on it in case it is attached to I-797 form).

Thanks for all the clarification, GotPR!!!

Last question on your last phrase:
BTW, provided you received I94, your status won't change upon approval of I94, but will change upon start date stated on I-94(I-94 has validity period printed on it in case it is attached to I-797 form).

If I get the I-94 approval, I'll also get the Start & end date along with that I-94 which will be lets say, 30 Sep 06 to 2 Oct 08. In this case, if I get receive I-94 after 30 Sep 06 & if I'm still working with A with L1-B, is it going to be illegal?