L1 to Green card, what happens to L2

scottmc_

Hi All,

My girlfriend will be coming to the US on a L1 and her company have advised that they will file for her GC immediately.

Once she has her GC what happens with my L2/EAD and if as I think it's no longer valid how can I continue to work (legally of course!!)?

Thanks,

Scott

scottmc_ said:
Hi All,

My girlfriend will be coming to the US on a L1 and her company have advised that they will file for her GC immediately.

Once she has her GC what happens with my L2/EAD and if as I think it's no longer valid how can I continue to work (legally of course!!)?

Thanks,

Scott
How can you get L2 based on girl friend's L1 ?

Anyway, if she got GC, L1 is not valid, therefore L2 is not valid.

The L2 is awarded to the spouse who gets the L1. The only thing I'm finding confusing is why you can work on an L2 but if the L1 holder applies and get a GC why suddenly the spouse looses visa priveledges - it doesnt seem to make sense and I would expect that the GC application be joint.

Is there such thing as a GC application applying to both the main applicant and the spouse?

As you said, L2 is dependent of L1. It perfectly makes sense that L2 is invalid if L1 is invalid.

Spouse can apply for GC as derivative.

Thanks for the response.

I guess that means I would have to leave the US whilst my application for the GC was submitted in that case?

And spouse is husband/wife only. Common law marriages and partnerships, girlfriend/boyfriend relationships don't count. You are only entitled to L2 if you're married to the L1 holder.

Can anyone on L1 apply for GC

Sorry if the question was silly, I searched and did not find a proper answer for this question.

Can somebody who is on L1 apply for I-140/i-485 directly without going throught the labor process? I thought they could not (if that was the case there will be host of people waiting in H1 who will try and do that - since typically people get stuck at the labor stage).

I am not aware of the laws or rules, hence please forgive me for being naive and asking this question.

if any of you gurus can provide me with guidance or point me to appropriate links if any that are in existence, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch in advance

L1A may be able to skip LC, but L1B most likely needs LC.
PERM is fast and it does not make much difference whether filing LC or not nowaday.