K1 visa and criminal rehabilitation

Halls4you

I am Canadian and my boyfriend is American. We have talked about long term plans of getting married; however, he is inadmissible to Canada (for a couple summary offences that happened over 5 years ago) but is eligible to apply for criminal rehabilitation so that he may visit me in Canada. We met online but have met twice in person for extended periods of time. My question is, if he plans on proposing around December (8 months from now) and then sponsor me to come to the US through a K1 visa, can he also apply for criminal rehabilitation as well so that he may eventually travel to Canada? The criminal rehabilitation application is through the Canadian government whereas the K1 visa is through the U.S. Will this impact anything as I have a clean record and he is sponsoring me?

Any advice would be very helpful, thanks!

For the purposes of sponsoring you to come to the US, his criminal record doesn't really matter, unless his crimes involve kidnapping of or sexual offenses against a child. He does have to satisfy all the other usual requirements of K1 sponsorship, such as proof of the required level of income. K1 sponsorship also has no effect on his criminal rehabilitation application.