K1 eligible for work?

Discussion in 'General K Visas and Related Issues' started by fif, Feb 9, 2017.

  1. fif

    fif Member

    I am currently in the US and planning to get engaged in the following weeks, will that make me eligible to work for any employer? and how long I can start working after submitting the application? if any?
  2. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    First of all, getting engaged does not get you K-1 or any other status.

    Second of all, the point of K-1 is to allow someone to enter the US to marry. If you are already in the US, you can already marry, and don't need a K-1.

    Third, to answer your question, if you enter on a K-1 visa, K-1 are eligible to apply for an EAD (category A6), however, that is basically throwing money ($410) down the toilet, because the EAD expires at the same time as K-1 status, which only lasts 90 days after entry, and it often takes like 100+ days to get EADs nowadays, so you will likely get no work authorization at all. Rather, when you apply for Adjustment of Status, you can apply for an EAD (category C9) for free. That's what you should be doing instead if you are entering on K-1.

    Of course, since you are already in the US, you should marry and do Adjustment of Status directly. No K-1 involved.
  3. fif

    fif Member

    Thank you newaccet, I highly appreciate it, I did not know about all of these details, if I get married, how long it will be before someone can work?
  4. newacct

    newacct Well-Known Member

    EAD used to take less than 90 days after applying, but recently I've heard it taking 100+ days.

Share This Page