Joint Credit Card proof

sap12452003

Registered Users (C)
Hello Folks,

I do have joint credit cards with my USC spouse. However, on credit card statements I get only my name. I talked to CC issuing bank, and they said they only put the primary card holder's name on statement. How do I get the proof that its joint credit cards?

Any help is appreciated... Interview very near....

sap12452003 said:
Hello Folks,

I do have joint credit cards with my USC spouse. However, on credit card statements I get only my name. I talked to CC issuing bank, and they said they only put the primary card holder's name on statement. How do I get the proof that its joint credit cards?

You need joint Checking or savings account. If not just go and open a account from Any banks. I think joint credit card is not a option and never heard it's accepted by BCIS. You need joint bank account, Leasing info which contains the both of your name, utility bills( Telephone, Electricity etc). So please don't go only based on the common credit card.

It's totally my opinion.

Good luck.

Dip

sap12452003 said:
Hello Folks,

Yup. same thing happened here. When i added my wife to my credit card account, she got a credit card with only her name on it but she has same credit card number as me and statements get sent only on my name.

I agree with dip92. Joint credit card account is not a big deal. You need more solid proof like joint mortgage statements or lease documents, joint checking/saving account statements, joint tax return statements, joint utility bills, joint ownership of assets, birth certificate of children born out of your current marriage.

Exactly, there are some credit cards that offer a relief to your spouse if she/he still doesn't have a SSN so he/she can has more freedom to buy stuff or move around. But is not big deal for USCIS to sustain that you have "joint" things, both spouses names on it. But of course that is why during the period before your interview you can do all that and keep it for your records.

Good luck,

Do I Need That?

Hey,

I'm married to an US Citizen and applying for a change of status. Our marriage is Bona Fide, and we live together. The thing is, we're young and up until now, I wasn't allowed to work. We got out lease (with both our names) and I got some utilities under my name, and some under his, but none shows both. We also prefer to keep our accounts separate, and file separate tax reports (we get more money at the end of the year) just cause that's the way we are.
Do we NEED to have a joint account in order for me to pass the interview? I think that would be silly, cause I don't see how that shows that I love my husband and that we are together.

Anyway, we're young, have no mortgages, and nothing else under both names, what should I do?

Thanks,

Celeste.

Lunastar said:
Hey,

I'm married to an US Citizen and applying for a change of status. Our marriage is Bona Fide, and we live together. The thing is, we're young and up until now, I wasn't allowed to work. We got out lease (with both our names) and I got some utilities under my name, and some under his, but none shows both. We also prefer to keep our accounts separate, and file separate tax reports (we get more money at the end of the year) just cause that's the way we are.
Do we NEED to have a joint account in order for me to pass the interview? I think that would be silly, cause I don't see how that shows that I love my husband and that we are together.

Anyway, we're young, have no mortgages, and nothing else under both names, what should I do?

Thanks,

Celeste.

Well, your point is taken. But thats the way USCIS works. Its not that they measure your love for each other based on your joint accounts and assets. They check to see if you both trust each other with your assets, finances and everything. After all, the basic foundation of married life is about sharing and caring, you share everything and thats what they look for. Its not just USCIS, it is universal .

I have read cases of immigration fraud in the past where people get married to USC just for getting a GC. They dont live together, they dont share accounts, they dont have anything in common and that is suspicious as it is. To avoid such problems, these rules are in effect. You say your case is bonafide, but you have to prove it to USCIS as well.

Try to get as many documents as you can that prove you share things in common. Like pictures from holiday visits, airline tickets, insurance (life/medical/auto) papers with both names on it and things mentioned earlier in this thread. Its not a must that you should have everything shared and its not a rule either. During interview, some officers ask for these documents as proof, and some dont care, so it all depends on your luck when you go for the interview. I would say its better to be safe and prepared than sorry. These small things become really important when you apply for I-751.

Well, that was my 2 cent worth. I dont expect you to fully agree with whatever i said.

Would this be sufficient?

Thank you for your comments... I have following

We have 5 Bank accounts at three different banks. They are joint accounts and have good funds.

Also, as I am living in rental apartment, I have lease which shows both names. Also, every month I get a payment slip for rent and the slip has both the names.

Our utility (electricity & gas) bill shows both names.

We have store charge card, and the statement I get shows both names as well.

Last three years tax returns were filed jointly.

No medical insurance. No car so, no car insurance.

Does this would be sufficient?

sap12452003 said:
Thank you for your comments... I have following

We have 5 Bank accounts at three different banks. They are joint accounts and have good funds.

Also, as I am living in rental apartment, I have lease which shows both names. Also, every month I get a payment slip for rent and the slip has both the names.

Our utility (electricity & gas) bill shows both names.

We have store charge card, and the statement I get shows both names as well.

Last three years tax returns were filed jointly.

No medical insurance. No car so, no car insurance.

Does this would be sufficient?

Hi sap12452003;

The rest is fine, but Credit card statement does not really matter. Read other peoples response to your query! Its does not matter that you have no medical, car or life insurance. But if you Bank with BoA you can apply for accidental death insurance coverage for $ 9.80 you get $ 50,000 coverage. That will help. When we had our interview, I noticed that the officer had those insurance papers one side on her table... be like Sherlock Holmes! Look, Watch and see!

Keep smiling and be in love!

Piyalove

Slightly worrying - tax problems and joint assets

My USC spouse has had to back file taxes for the last 10 years in order to get the required 3 years of tax returns for the affidavit.
However, our tax attorney has advised us not to have any joint assets for awhile (such as bank accounts, the condo mortgage which is in my name) and to file tax returns separately, which we did. This is to avoid the IRS seizing my income/assets.

Now I'm not sure how important all this joint stuff is. We could certainly try to get joint utility bills, and maybe in a year try opening a joint savings account, but I'm not sure what else. Our immigration attorney says it's not a big deal - just need to show proof we live at same address, and if questioned, explain why all this other stuff is separate.

I hope this will be OK. Surely this is a problem that is not so uncommon.

Yes, I have almost the same situation, that is for some reason, me and my husband can not fill tax return jointly. We've already got a joint bank account althought I'm still keep my old bank account. I hope it doesn't matter too much.
whatamIthinking said:
My USC spouse has had to back file taxes for the last 10 years in order to get the required 3 years of tax returns for the affidavit.
However, our tax attorney has advised us not to have any joint assets for awhile (such as bank accounts, the condo mortgage which is in my name) and to file tax returns separately, which we did. This is to avoid the IRS seizing my income/assets.

Now I'm not sure how important all this joint stuff is. We could certainly try to get joint utility bills, and maybe in a year try opening a joint savings account, but I'm not sure what else. Our immigration attorney says it's not a big deal - just need to show proof we live at same address, and if questioned, explain why all this other stuff is separate.

I hope this will be OK. Surely this is a problem that is not so uncommon.

Good to know I'm not the only one...

Well, this must be a situation that INS is used to dealing with. I'm sure there are many others with this same issue.

I'm just going to keep records of as much "joint stuff" as possible however small, and hopefully it'll be OK.

In that case you should have the documents that explain why you are having all your accounts separate.
The interviewer can ask you about it or not, but you should be prepare.

Good luck,

Please share your opinion. I married a retired USC last April 2005, he's now in California and i'm here in Northern Mariana Island(US Territory), he cannot find a job here. My question is how are we going to file a joint income tax return, since he is in California and i'm here in Northern Mariana. Please share your opinion. Thank you very much.

cherr1980 said:
In that case you should have the documents that explain why you are having all your accounts separate.
The interviewer can ask you about it or not, but you should be prepare.

Good luck,
Well, the only documents related to this would be the tax returns themselves! I'm not sure what else one would take??

Jasrin, your case is very similar to another person in this forum and now is in the divorce process (not you :))what is the problem? they weren't living together most of their marriage.

Remember, if you are living in another US territory (Asia) and he is living in California that is a red flag for USCIS unless you can explain it. If the USCIS should suppose that a couple (recently marriage) can't stay away from each other are living in different territories?. Unfortunately the people who abuse of the system and commits fraud make others pay for it. It's for the USCIS that your main residence should be your spouse residence too unless you can explain it why is not like that.

As others posted over here, all depends on the interviewer. He/she can ask about it or not.

Good luck,

whatimthinking,
It is my understanding that when you file your taxes and if you are married but you are filing separately, anyway indicates that you are married unless the person is married and is filing as a single, I think you can't do that right?

Anyway, I don't think that is too much you should worry about. There are things that no couple can change like:
1. if your spouse had the mortgage of the house where you move in, you can't change a name/owner mortgage unless you open a new mortgage that can cause spent more money.
2. if your spouse had already a car and you don't need a car or already your spouse had another car that you can use, for what then you will change the loan for the car, that is not viable.

Means that there are some financial issues that is nobody's fault and that is the way it is just explain it if they ask, plus there are many other things that you can use instead of financial issues all the way like: wills, power of attorney, insurance policy, etc.

For me, unfortunately, people who abuse of the system and commit fraud contribute in a greater level (for not say all) of what others are paying for.

Good luck,

Good point! It does indicate marriage status on tax returns even if filing separately. Yes, we do have some other joint things, and i'll try and find others.

Thanks for your input