Job description

LuciDreamer

Registered Users (C)
I don't want to jinx it, since it is way to early at this point, but it seems like the HR has decided to move towards the sponsorship. I know it will be a long and unpredictable process... but the ice has broken :) and hopefully, the company will be ok too despite the economic situation.

My manager just sent me the job description for review that the HR will use to advertise for the Labor phase. The position states Sr. Software Engineer. But in my resume I have worked as a Sr. Systems Analyst for the last several years. There are lots of requirements in the job description that match my experience except for the open-source skills that I acquired at this current job.

I know that many people on this forum has gone from TN/H1 to GC already and may know answers to those ones:

- Does the Labor applicant's previous position titles have to exactly match the advertised job title?

- If the advertised job lists required skill that was acquired by me in the current job, may it be a show-stopper or cause for RFE?

- Any general suggestions or recommendations for advertising job description writing.

Thank you

- Does the Labor applicant's previous position titles have to exactly match the advertised job title?

No. The job you (and presumably others) are applying for however does have to be the one that you will take at the end of the process. That future job (which may or may not be your current position) is what is being posted.

- If the advertised job lists required skill that was acquired by me in the current job, may it be a show-stopper or cause for RFE?

Yes. If they are posting your current position, then None of the skills or experience aquired at your job can be used as a requisite. Otherwise the job description is being too tailored to your current skills not the hired skills.

- Any general suggestions or recommendations for advertising job description writing.

There is a PERM forum on this site -- why not ask there.
http://boards.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Nelsona.

I actually started reading through the "PERM" forum posts sometime ago. However, still unable to find all the answers to my questions.

Maybe I didn't state my first question clearly...
What happens is that the advertised job will be seeking a "Sr. Soft. Engineer". In my resume, the last several jobs I had in the US and Canada were as "Sr. Systems Analyst". I can't change my resume now, because it was submitted to CIS for the H1B filings, and my job letters also state Sr. SA as well (well, mostly for TN reasons, Soft Eng. is not a TN title and needs H1B). When the company tries to hire me for this position, will it raise a red flag for DOL, since my previous job titles were not exactly Sr. SE?

These are PERM questions. You can just as easily ask questions there, no? You haven't even posted there yet.

Do you (or more precisely, did you when you were hired) qualify for the Sr Software Engineer position they are now posting. If yes, then you are fine. if not, then your PERM (or at least your I-140) will be doomed. To qualify, you need to prove you had the requisite education, experience, and skills required for the position. Did you?

Remember, you are being offered the job you will have if you get a GC, not necessarily the one you have now.

Seriously though. Go to a Labour Cert or PERM site.

And btw, I got my TN as a Software Engineer, so SW Engineer is indeed a perfectly fine TN category (as is mechanical engineer, civil engineer, nuclear engineer, etc), because I'm an engineer. If you aren't then you will probably have a tough time proving quals for Engineering. Your firm really has no clue on immigration, does it. can't get right TN, Can't submit H1 correctly, can't sponsor you without you donating a kidney...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Software Engineer is definitely a qualified TN job title. There is a memo given to USICS from their boss stating specifically that Software Engineer falls into the engineer category. However, if you don't have an engineering degree, then you might want to apply as a System Analyst instead.