j2 visa renewal

jdependent

hi... i'm a j2 dependent in status in the states with an ead. i've heard that j1-j2 couples who try to get their visas renewed if the j2 has an ead have a hard time and sometimes are also denied visas. is this true? the ead is an ins issued document and is allowed under the rules. is it a problem to get a j2 visa renewed if you have an ead? would appreciate any info anyone has on the subject. thanks...

i'm not on j1 or n2. But i know a friend who is on j2 and is been renewing her EAD regualrly and working too. No problem that i know of.

hi ashmak... i appreciate your reply. if i may ask, has your friend renewed her j2 visa after getting her ead? did she renew her visa from india or from another country? thanks...

yes she has renwed is couple of times i think after ead too. She is indian but J1/J2 is from canada.
Hey you must be a dependent of J1 visa right, do you know if my wife can get J1 (for her medical residency) after competing 6 years on H4?

yes, i am a j1 dependent. your wife's situation, i think, would depend on your status. it would also depend on what stage of the usmle she has completed. applying for a change in status can be done, i think. if she's got a call from a program and gets her papers from the ecfmg, she shld be able to apply. but i think if your green card is in process, it's better to wait. once she's on a j1, she won't be able to get her green card even if you get yours because j visa laws don't allow it. she'll have to complete her training under a j visa, get a j visa waiver, get an h1 and then apply for a green card.

thanks. the plan is to forfeit GC for residency. As it stands now GC thru labor process takes 4 or more years. J2 visa dependent can atleast work, h4 visa holder can do nothing but sit at home. that's really a sad rule.
I'm not sure how long the Adjustment of status takes though, i know ecfmg issues IAP66 (something) in 5-6 weeks, but AOS takes much longer, right? i dont know if there is enough time to have it done between March to June.