J1 Waiver Approval - Complete timeline (India citizen)

dheeraj212

Registered Users (C)
J1 Waiver Approval - Complete timeline (India citizen - Haryana State)

First of all my thanks to everyone who posted their comments and precious suggestions to help ppl makin their ways easier in immigration process. Below is my complete timeline of applying and getting J1 waiver.

Nov. 8, 2006 - Forms and affidavits got notarised to be sent to CGI Houston
Nov. 9, 2006 - Sent to CGI Houston for attestation
Nov. 10, 2006 - CGI Houston Receives Documents and passport
Dec. 5, 2006 - Attested Documents return back to me (to be sent to authorities in India)
Dec. 6, 2006 - Attested documents sent to parents in India
Dec. 11, 2006 - Documents received in India
Dec. 19, 2006 - DS 3035, fee and other documents sent to DoS
Dec. 22, 2006 - Received New Delhi MHRD 'NORI'
Dec. 29, 2006 - DS 3035, fee and other documents receiving information available online on DoS website by entering case no.
Jan. 2, 2007 - Received Chandigarh Passport Office 'NORI'
Jan. 2, 2007 - Received Home Ministry Haryana (Chandigarh) 'NORI'
Jan. 3, 2007 - All No Objection Statements (NORIs) sent to me in US
Jan. 9, 2007 - NORIs received by me
Jan. 10, 2007 - NORIs and other documents sent to CGI Houston
Jan. 26, 2007 - All documents returned back bcos of incorrect fee
Jan. 30, 2007 - All documents sent back again to CGI Houston with correct fee this time.
Feb. 20, 2007 - Waiver Certificate received frm CGI Hosuton ( CGI forwarded one copy to Indian Embassy in Washington DC)
March 5, 2007 - Waiver Certificate received by Indian Embassy and sent to DoS
March 7, 2007 - DoS receives Waiver Certificate (No Objection Statement from Indian Embassy)
May 9, 2007 - DoS sends Favorable Recommendations to USCIS
May 10, 2007 - USCIS receives Favorable Recommendations from DoS
May 17, 2007 - USCIS approves J1 waiver
May 24, 2007 - Waiver received

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Anjali. I think u had some queries regarding RPO Chandigarh. I hav sent my email address and phone no. to ur email address. I wud be more than happy to help u.

Good Luck with ur waiver process

Dheeraj

Heartiest congratulations to u. If i m not wrong ur J1 was going to expire v. soon.
good luck for future.

Hie Dheeraj,

It was great to go through ur message. Congrats! It must be a great relief to overcome the whole process of going back and forth with the paper work. I have just started on mine and I cannot even imagine when mine will be over.
I am in a delimma rite now, I just have a question for you. Did you send the documents to obtain NORI directly to your parents back in India (and did they take it to get the NORI from the departments)or to the respective three departments. I would greatly appreciate if you could get back to me. Thank u much.

Hi Dheeraj,

I have got my NORI from the CGI houston (letter dated May 11). I have not got the NORI from the embassy, It is June 1, I am still waiting....

--Do I need to send the CGI's NORI to the indian embassy? Do I need to send any fees?

--Does anyone have a contact number for Indian embassy where I can enquire?

--Does the embassy send the bar code page of my case number also to DOS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hie Dheeraj,

It was great to go through ur message. Congrats! It must be a great relief to overcome the whole process of going back and forth with the paper work. I have just started on mine and I cannot even imagine when mine will be over.
I am in a delimma rite now, I just have a question for you. Did you send the documents to obtain NORI directly to your parents back in India (and did they take it to get the NORI from the departments)or to the respective three departments. I would greatly appreciate if you could get back to me. Thank u much.

I sent those directly to my parents and they worked out everythin for me.

Hi Dheeraj,

I have got my NORI from the CGI houston (letter dated May 11). I have not got the NORI from the embassy, It is June 1, I am still waiting....

--Do I need to send the CGI's NORI to the indian embassy? Do I need to send any fees?

--Does anyone have a contact number for Indian embassy where I can enquire?

--Does the embassy send the bar code page of my case number also to DOS?

Dont worry, its not late...they take this much time for processing.

-- No, u dont need to send anythin to Embassy.

-- There are contact no. available on their website but no use contacting them, no one responds.

-- Ur consulate will forward Waiver Certificate (NORI) and Bar code page to Embassy and they will send it to the DoS.

Hi Dheeraj,
Congratulations!

Can you please give details of process from obtaining NORI onwards? I received all three NORI letters from India, and need to proceed further for applying to get a waiver. In fact, I am planning to visit India and that is the reason I didn't take the case number. Do you have any idea if visiting India is a risk when the waiver is under process!
Appreciate your help in this regard. I will provide you my email if you want to send details there.
Thanks!

Anu

I dont think there would be any problem if u wanna visit home ( if u have multiple entries on ur visa). For more questions u may contact me on my phone. Check your private messages in this forum for my phone no.

D

Hi Dheeraj,
Did the 3 Indian agencies send copies of the no objection letters directly to the Indian consulate in Houston? Or did your family mail them to you, and you then forwarded them to the consulate?
Thanks.

Passport office insisted to forward the copy themselves, but my mum got a photocopy anyways. My parents sent me all copies and then I forwarded'em to CGI myself.

Indian citizens with HOuston CGI, check out timelines here

Most of Indian citizens who have applied for J1 waiver, can check out their expected timelines here on my first posting. Good Luck.

after applying giving waiver input online when the hard copies should reach to the Dept of state.. any time line??

Hi dheeraj

I have received fav. reco from DOS and waiting for final approval from USCIS. Could you please tell me from which USCIS service center you got the final approval?

Thanks
vamsi

My time line and Thanks

Dear all
Thanks to all for the support and help provided by all during the process of the J1 waiver and waiting times. I want to post my time line and explain the hardship I have overcome so that it will be a tonic for the worried waiting people.

Sep 10, 2006 - Sent the NORI request documents to India to three places (Delhi, Chennai(2)).
Sep 18, 2006 - Sent the relevant documents to DOS J1 waiver section with fees.
Oct 05, 2006 - Sent documents appeared online dated Oct 5th 2006.
Jan 10, 2007 - Got all the NORIs from India - Sent them to Indian embassy (IE)Chicago
Feb 22, 2007 - Received J1 waiver letter from IE Chicago dated 15th Feb
Mar 13, 2007 - Letter from IE in D. C. dated 6th March that they forwarded letter to DOS
Mar 20, 2007 - DOS received the no objection from embassy - appeared online on 22th March
Mar 21, 2007 - Applied for advisory opinion for HRR
Apr 05, 2007 - DOS received all documents for Advisory opinion - appeared online on 6th April
Apr 30, 2007 - DOS shows that I am "Subject" to HRR in the website
May 4, 2007 - Advisory opinion sent - online
May 21, 2007 - Received copy of sent Advisory opinion
May 31, 2007 - Faxed a letter to DOS requesting to process case
Jun 04, 2007 - Sent the same letter through USPS mail.
Jun 07,2007 - DOS gives favorable recommendation online (12 weeks)
Jun 14,2007 - DOS letter arrives !!!
July 06,2007 - USCIS waiver letter (I797) arrives !!!

In the meantime, we applied H1B for my husband through the regular quota and luckily he got selected in the lottery. But we did not have DOS recommendation or the waiver. The USCIS sent a RFE asking for the waiver letter and gave 90 days time. We waited and finally we got both DOS recommendation and waiver by 60 days of that time. We submitted the waiver to USCIS and got the H1B approved!!!!! We have the I797 now with us. It still seems to be a miracle.....but it happened.

Eventually things will happen. The waiting period is painful. But as along as we are correct with the documentation and reasonably on time things will work out.

I myself have sent numerous questions to many members.They have answered them quite patiently.

I would like to provide answers that I know any time. Thanks once again.

Vidhya