J1 vwaiver for Indian National residing in Canada

sasha511

Hi,
I was in US as a post doctoral fellow in Astrophysics from 2005-2008 on J1 visa. I got married and came to Canada to live with my husband. We have been living in Canada since past 3 years and I have a Canadian PR. Now my husband is getting transferred to US and we all have to move to US within a year. However, my J1 visa had 2 year home residency requirement. I understand that I have to take no objection letter. I see that one has to fill 4 forms of 'Grant of Waiver Certificate' available from Indian embassy Washington DC website. But they serve only people residing in USA. I could not find any such information in the Indian embassy, Canada. How do I start the process of no objection and which country will do it for me? If Canada will do it for me since I am living here, then who to contact here? Nobody I talked with, seem to know the process.
Thanks
Sasha
Thanks much.

Hi,
I was in US as a post doctoral fellow in Astrophysics from 2005-2008 on J1 visa. I got married and came to Canada to live with my husband. We have been living in Canada since past 3 years and I have a Canadian PR. Now my husband is getting transferred to US and we all have to move to US within a year. However, my J1 visa had 2 year home residency requirement. I understand that I have to take no objection letter. I see that one has to fill 4 forms of 'Grant of Waiver Certificate' available from Indian embassy Washington DC website. But they serve only people residing in USA. I could not find any such information in the Indian embassy, Canada. How do I start the process of no objection and which country will do it for me? If Canada will do it for me since I am living here, then who to contact here? Nobody I talked with, seem to know the process.
Thanks
Sasha
Thanks much.

Hi Sasha,
Did you ever get this sorted out?

I am in a similar boat. Have a J1 from an internship in the USA but have been living in Canada since then.

How did you resolve it?

I sent my application to the Embassy in DC, they just returned it saying to talk to Embassy in Canada. The Embassy in Canada have no idea about J1 Waiver.