J1 Visa Extension

daenerys

Hello!

I am a J1 visa holder and currently waiting for my waiver. DoS received my No Objection Statement from my home country and is currently for deliberation. My visa will expire on June 2019. My visa sponsor is offering an extension of 2 years J1 visa. Since I am planning to go back to my country for my formal wedding, my questions are:

1. Can I accept the extension so I can go back to the US? Does it mean I need to waive again the 2 year home requirement?
2. While waiting for the USCIS approval notice, can I start my Adjustment of Status and application of Advance Parole?

Thank you in advance!

Hy, I'm a J1 short term visiting scholar visa holder. My time to leave US is 13th May 2019. I'm pregnant and in the last month of my pregnancy. Doctor send me a notice that two and a half day travel is risky for you and baby. As the delivery could be anytime during my travel as well. I applied for J1 visa extension I539 45 days before expiry (required period mentioned in USCIS website). and its almost 28 days since i applied for that but didn't get any response, not even application number. I emailed Dallas Lockbox helpdesk and found response that they will even respond me in 15 business days. No response from anyside yet. Please help and guide what should I do as I don't want to overstay. On the other side I can't travel as well to have a life risk of me and my baby. I'm extremely worried. Please help

@sabin , current processing time on i539 is 4-6 months, if you filed a month ago it is unlikely you will hear before 13 May. If you are in the last month of pregnancy now surely you should have had your baby well before it is time for you to leave?

I applied even before 45 required days as mentioned in USCIS website. At least I should have an application number in hand to be safe. But I didn't received any. Travel is much risky for me. Even though should I go back to be safe from the immigration point of view or should I stay here? Please guide

I can’t possiby tell you what to do in a situation like this, your doctor should guide you. All I can do as a non-professional (legal or medical) forum commentator is tell you:
(1) what average processing time is (as I have)
(2) that if the application is denied, the overstay will date back to the original departure date on your i94 of 13 May (and your existing visa would be automatically revoked, but it may already be expired by then anyway?) for more details about other consequences see approx the second half of the info on page 3 here https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/C1en.pdf (note also above that it says to check processing times and file “at least” 45 days before, not that you must wait till then). Obviously if you are approved there will be no problems here.
(3) if you do decide to depart before 13 May, make sure to both withdraw the i539 and keep a proper record of your departure date, so that you don’t face any potential issues on a future visa application/trip to the US.

Good luck and congratulations on the pregnancy.

@1AurCitizen I dont wan't to overstay and want to keep myself safe (from immigration point of view) as much as possible. I have even purchased tickets for 13 May. But the situation is much life risky to travel. That's why stressed to seek guidance.

I can't predict what USCIS decides on the extension, and pregnancy is a very personal decision.. but you knew about the 13 May 2019 deadline far in advance.

Hi guys, I am new on this forum, a friend referred me to the IRE services whom assist with getting a J1 program visa... Done my interview with a lady Miss Andrea she is in Georgia, second step I have been told I need to pay $4000 for placement, $500 first before interview and balance within 3 to4 days after acceptance... How genuine is this program... Please assist

Thank you
God bless

Hi guys, I am new on this forum, a friend referred me to the IRE services whom assist with getting a J1 program visa... Done my interview with a lady Miss Andrea she is in Georgia, second step I have been told I need to pay $4000 for placement, $500 first before interview and balance within 3 to4 days after acceptance... How genuine is this program... Please assist

Thank you
God bless

That amount sounds pretty scammy. Did you go through the official department of state website that lists sponsors for J visas?
https://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/sponsor-search/

Attached is their details, I did Skype interview with her Miss Andrea Wright

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191011_231902_com.microsoft.office.outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191011_231902_com.microsoft.office.outlook.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 1
Attached is their details, I did Skype interview with her Miss Andrea Wright
Sorry, it’s kind of meaningless. Why did your friend recommend this company? Just the fact that you need to pay before you know if you will be accepted or not makes it sound like a scam to me.
It is generally always better to go through something that you know is officially approved. What kind of J work would you be doing? I gave you the officially approved list above, you can at least contact a sponsor in the field you are interested in to see if they also want to pressure you to pay them $4k...? I mean, this agency might be legit but upfront deposits and pressure for lots of money in a short time after that sounds scammy. When in this process do you actually go for the visa interview?

As an intern (chef) , he is in the US and says the first time he went there was through that program.. I'm not sure how genuine it is right now given the number of cloned website cases.. I am very nervous I don't know what to do... Is there J1 program for hoteliers

As an intern (chef) , he is in the US and says the first time he went there was through that program.. I'm not sure how genuine it is right now given the number of cloned website cases.. I am very nervous I don't know what to do... Is there J1 program for hoteliers

Did you look at the link I posted above? It has a drop down list of the types of sectors available and within those, a list of approved sponsors.
It could also be one of those organizations like the one that enters people in the lottery where it’s not a scam in the sense that they do what they say they will do, but they charge you much much more than if you just went the official route. I don’t know full well all the sections but I know people who’ve gone on J1 and no one paid anywhere near what you’re being asked. In fact if I’m not mistaken in at least some cases it was the employer, not the J1 visa holder, that paid the placement fee.

Yes I have, I can't seem to pick up IRE services, not sure if I missed it, .. Sounded scammy after a colleague of mine was asked to pay $800 to secure his spot for green card lottery, we both got confused(out of desperation to move ) would you perhaps know if there is (from the listed sponsors) who take hospitality interns from across the world

Yes I have, I can't seem to pick up IRE services, not sure if I missed it, .. Sounded scammy after a colleague of mine was asked to pay $800 to secure his spot for green card lottery, we both got confused(out of desperation to move ) would you perhaps know if there is (from the listed sponsors) who take hospitality interns from across the world
Your colleague was certainly scammed, the lottery is free to enter, and for selectees, no fees are payable to the US until the actual visa interview.
So if IRE is not listed there it may still place people but like your friend, charge you much more than you need pay.
I don’t really understand why you can’t examine the list of sponsors yourself to see if you can find one that would suit you? Yes it might take a little time and effort on your part but for example under “intern” I quickly saw a couple of names that had “hospitality” in their title, and googling some of the others would likely quickly lead one to see the types of jobs they offer. I would think an hour or two spent examining the site properly and contacting those that look helpful would easily justify saving $4000?