J1 to F1 ?!

Neera

Hi everyone!
Could anybody tell me how to change the status from J1 to F1? I've been in the US for over a year now as an au pair (not subject to 2 year residence requirement) and I'd like to change the status to F1 while in the US. I don't know what does the whole proces look like. What kind of documents will I need and whether I still have a chance to get F1 visa although I don't have enough money...... :confused:
If somebody can, please help me.

Thanks a lot.

Hi there....I used to be an au pair. I actually went home to change my visa but I have a lot of friends who did it here in the U.S. Just contact the school that u r interested to attend. If they accept u into a program, they will issue u an I-20 and help u through the process of changing a visa. As long as ur J visa does not expire yet, it's o.k. U should prepare to give them about 4-6 months to get things done. So, the ealier the better. Do u extend ur stay for the second yr?

J1 to F1

Hi
this is velmurugan, Now I am in J1 visa first year and 212(e) applied. I want to continue my graduate study here from next year. Is it necessary for me to go two years home country or I have to get waiver or I can change without any of this procedures? Plz help me in this reagard. thank u.

To the first post,

You should be able to change to F1 provided you apply and get accepted to a US school which will work your I20 out (sort fo along process) and you must have the money to cover the expenses (it is quite a large sum).

For the last post, Velmurugan,

Provided you can get the 2yr HRR waived you need not go back home. Once you get a waiver, you can switch status and become PR. So consider working on a waiver. You should be able to continue graduate school with your J1 (extend/change progam).

velmurugan said:
Hi
this is velmurugan, Now I am in J1 visa first year and 212(e) applied. I want to continue my graduate study here from next year. Is it necessary for me to go two years home country or I have to get waiver or I can change without any of this procedures? Plz help me in this reagard. thank u.

J1 to F1 please help!!!

Hello, I'm an excange student. My J1 visa is with 2 year home residency requirement. I want to continue my education in Us without going back home. As now I study in a community college I'm going to apply to a quite big university in another city in my state. I need to get F1 visa. What chances do I have and what ar the steps I need to go though? Where should I go or call to apply for F1 visa?
Thanks.

You cannot change from J-1 to F-1 *in* the US if you are subject to the 2 year HRR. You must first obtain a waiver of the HRR.

You may be able to get an F-1 visa in your home country without getting a waiver though. Once your new college issues you an I-20, take it to the consulate in your home country and apply for an F-1 visa. This may be a bit more tricky than usual because you were previously on a J-1. Once you are back in the US, you will be in F-1 status, if you get the visa, but you will still be subject to HRR which means, even though you have an F-1, you must still comply with the HRR or obtain a waiver before obtaining an H, L, or green card.

it wasn't tricky for me - getting F-1 after J-1 with HRR. Still had to prove non-immigrant intent, though. And, theoretically, HRR may serve as somewhat a proof that you will have to return to your home country.

see my history. I went back home for a month after J-1 program, and came back with F-1 visa.

1994-95 - J-1
1995-2004 F-1
10/03 Applied for HRR Waiver
3/04 No objection letter is received by DOS
4/04 I-130 filed with TSC
6/27/04 Got favorable DOS recommendation
6/30/04 filed for AOS
7/1/04 NOA for I-612 from TSC, receipt
7/13/04 Waiver approved
9/04 FP completed, EAD received
10/04 I-130 transferred to CSC
11/04 I-130 approved
7/05 applied for renewal EAD
9/15/05 Got EAD
9/28/05 Atlanta AOS interview and GC stamp received!
10/04/05 GC received

help me please

I had an I-20 visa to be a student at a community college. I dont have enough money to pay to go to school full time, so my visa is being taken away. How do I get any kind of visa to stay in the US? What visa's are there? I do have a full time job also. I also live with a host family. thanks for any help.

Hi, my case is different. I'd like to switch from F1 to J1. Can someone tell me if this has been done? What are good reasons to give to immigration?

you don't need to give a reason why you are changing status. You just have to prove non-immigrant intent. Did you read form I-539?

Information needed from J1 to F1

Respected sir
I am Yashwant reddy studying masters in information technology in poland.I complete my first year of masters in june 2007.I got chance to go to America With Job visa(J1 visa) for 5 months in june(2007).Later i have to return back to poland.

So in that 5 months i want to Apply for student visa(f1 visa) to study in masters in busniess education(2 years course).I dont know the process how to convert from J1 visa to F1 visa(study).So please show me the way so that i can sincerly study in America.I completed software engineering in india.I am waiting for your reply sir.please tell what are the eligibilty things .I got admission(I20) from 1 university.
Thanking you sir
Yours sincerly
B.Yashwant Reddy

How to change J1 to F1

Hi
I am currently on J1 and subjected to 2 year home rule.Is it possible to change my J1 status to F1 without getting waiver or going back to India?Is it necssary to go to Universities, or community colleges will work?And what will happen to my wife who is on J2?

I am also trying J1 waiver but at the moment it appears to be an uphill task because of non cooperation of authorities.That is the reason for me being proactive.

Your response would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Change from J1 to F1

I am in thde middle of applying for my waiver. on the 20th April the DOS website shows that all documents are received including No Objection Statement.I am waiting for the favorable recommendation from DOS and later waiver from USCIS.
I received I-20 from the school and the school starts at the end of August 2009.

Q1.Do you think I have enough time to change status from J1 to F1?
Q2. How long does it take to receive recommendation letter from DOS?Can I use the decision on the web to start filing change of status?
Q3. If I go back to my home country to apply fro F1 visa,but I am worried that I am in the middle of waiver and will it affect my F1 application?
Q4. Does teh school do the change of status or me do it?
I appreciate your views and replies.

Az

hello. I'm currently on J-1 (finance trainee) and my host employer is willing to sponsor me on a H1B work visa. i understand that J1 to H1 is a painful process, so I'm also thinking of an alternative legal path so I can stay longer.

maybe J-1 to F-1 (with work permit)? or J-1 to J-1 while studying? Is there such a thing?

Assuming that H1B is not possible and my 2 yr HRR is waived, what are my options in order to continue working for my present host employer?