J1 research to J1 Clinical

Vid2Nag

I am currently on J1-research (valid through Jan '05) and have been offered a clinical fellowship position. Am awaiting CS results to get my ECFMG certificate and join the program.
My questions are:
if i only get my Step 2 CS results by Dec 04 end, will just applying for DOS petition in Jan-05 ( i heard that processing might take more than 2 months) keep me in status. Can I join the program immediately on get my ECFMG certificate even without having my DOS petition approved ?

Please help.

J-1 res to clin

No, unfortunately you have to wait until the DOS gives you approval. They do not give any info on the status of your app and they might reject it. Until you have your J-1 clinical, you cannot interact with patients in any way, beacuse you don't have a license. License takes a while too, depending on the state. Can you stay in your current job until you get your approval and will the other program wait for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks angio for the information. They (program) have already waited for more than 3 months for my DOS approval which is waiting on ECFMG waiting on CS results. (Though, I already have a limited license in the state of my fellowship). Can you let me know how long it takes on average for the DOS approval generally? What factors influence their decision ? It looks like I need to extend my current job somehow.

J1R to J1C

It takes about two to three months. It might be ready and all they are waiting for is the CSA result. Hopefully it will arrive soon and they will approve it before Christmas. I guess they take into account if your research is related to your residency or fellowship and your plans for your training and all that.

Thanks again angio. I hope your words come true. On another note, will having clinical fellowship for > 4 yrs allow me to practise in US once I complete it ? In other words is residency in US mandatory for becoming board certified ? Please let me know the options for an IMG who has several ( > 30 publications, presentations ) accomplishments in addition to more than 2 years of rigorous specialty surgical experience in home country.

I am afraid that in order to practise any specialty in the US you need to be either board certified or board elligible, or at least elligible to obtain a permanent license in the specialty, all of which include the requirement of US training. The only instance in which foreign training is recognized is for the purpose of fellowship training, but even that does not allow for practising in the US once you are done. The only way to go is to do a residency in the US. I am sure you would not have a problem to match consideing your background, but it depends on the specialty you are interested in, obviously.

hi Vid2Nag,
I am on a J1 research position and plan to do a residency on J1 clinical. Did you manage to get your visa conversion and what procedure did you follow?
Sachin

It's done through the ECFMG. They petition the DOS. Try contacting them as soon as you get your residency spot so that you can send them everything right away and you can start on time. It takes at least two-three months, so be prepared to send everything right away.

hi angio
I matched for a residency position in neurology to start july 05. i did contact the ecfmg for the procedure to apply for the category change and they have not bothered to reply for the past (more than 1 month now). In the meanwhile i obtained the NOC letter from the indian embassy. Is there any other thing I need to do in the meanwhile while i wait for the almighty ECFMG to reply?
Can u tell me exactly what is the procedure (regarding documents) for the application process?
Thanks for the help
s