J1 -> H1B -> now J1 again -> H1B again in future?

queno

Hi,

I had a J1 Researcher visa in 2012 and switched to a cap-exempt H1B (different employer). I'm considering changing my job again, but unfortunately it's impossible to transfer my H1B visa to a normal (for profit) company.

I know that I could get a J1 Trainee visa (if the company was willing to sponsor it), but how risky would it be? My questions are:

* Is there a high chance of getting rejected when applying for a J1 the second time (although under a different program) and after an H1B?
* What would happen to my current H1B if the J1 got rejected?

Then, in future, if my next employer (the one that would get me a J1 Trainee visa) wanted to apply for an H1B for me, would it be difficult? Has anyone heard of such cases?

I'd be grateful for any help. Thank you.

Nothing to add, only that I will be in the same situation soon. I have a J-1 and will transfer to an H1-B, but probably for not so long. So after switching employers again, I may have to either go back to J or get another H1-B.

I hope someone can give us some advice! I want to know if the switching back and forth is frowned upon by USCIS.

Thanks,

Hi,

I had a J1 Researcher visa in 2012 and switched to a cap-exempt H1B (different employer). I'm considering changing my job again, but unfortunately it's impossible to transfer my H1B visa to a normal (for profit) company.

I know that I could get a J1 Trainee visa (if the company was willing to sponsor it), but how risky would it be? My questions are:

* Is there a high chance of getting rejected when applying for a J1 the second time (although under a different program) and after an H1B?
* What would happen to my current H1B if the J1 got rejected?

Then, in future, if my next employer (the one that would get me a J1 Trainee visa) wanted to apply for an H1B for me, would it be difficult? Has anyone heard of such cases?

I'd be grateful for any help. Thank you.