J1 and criminal records

FabulousFab

Hi all,

I guess similar questions have been asked but none of the threads I've found so far have really helped me answer mine, so I'd like to ask it right away:

I'm about to finish my PhD in Switzerland and have been looking for PostDoc positions in the States. So I'm pretty sure the corresponding VISA will be the J-1. I don't have any job perspective yet but I already took a look at the formalities. It turns out that the compulsory DS-160 form that I will have to complete at a certain point does contain the following question: "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty, or other similar action?"
Unfortunately, I'll have to click YES as right now I'm facing a trial (which is still pending) for traffic violation. I'll be fined for that (this much I know).
Now my question is, what happens if I click YES? will I immediately be rejected? Should I add more (judicial) documents stating what I did exactly? Or a letter from my lawyer (he's NOT specialized on immigration issues)?
I'd just like to know what to expect before actually launching the whole application procedure...

Thanks for your help