J-1 research to a J-1 Clinical visa

LF2008

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am from India, currently on a J-1 research visa, working as a research scholar in a highly reputed University in the US. I have gained admission into a Psychiatry residency program, and will have to change to a J-1 clinical visa in June 2015. I have the following concerns:

1. I am subjected to the 2 year home requirement as per my current research visa. Would I have to complete this before I can get a J-1 clinical visa?
2. How smooth is the transition from a J-1 research to a J-1 clinical visa? Would I have to go back to India to get it stamped? Is it a simple process, and what are things I should be aware of?
3. The biggest "issue" is that my husband, whom I met and married in the US, is a US citizen. Although my husband and I do plan on returning to India, I want to complete residency training first. Can you please advise me on how to go about to get the J-1 clinical visa, and to prove at the consulate that I have no immigration intent, and I will return home after residency training in the US.

I would really appreciate ideas and input from the forum on this case. Thank you so much for your time!