Is there anyone out there with the pending security check?

udacha6

Registered Users (C)
I just got a reply back from the VSC liaison that says that my case is delayed due to the security check backlog. My case is Feb02.
Does anyone know if there is a certain time limit within which the security check must be completed or I can wait indefinitely?
How many people on this site in the same situation - waiting for FBI to clear their name checks?

I have. It's been two months and I haven't received any reply yet. My lawyer says it is normal for the cases that don't have clearance.
How would it help anyway? I will just get a confirmation for what I already know.

udacha6 said:
I have. It's been two months and I haven't received any reply yet. My lawyer says it is normal for the cases that don't have clearance.
How would it help anyway? I will just get a confirmation for what I already know.
Well! If you get a response back from FBI saying that namecheck is done and sent to CIS and CIS still maintains that they are waiting for namecheck, one of them must be lying. It usually turns out to be CIS.
You did not mention your RD/ND etc.

If your RD is in the early/mid 2002, and you r namecheck has been done, you might be able to contact congressman or ombudsman or may be join rajum in his efforts. Check these threads:
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=146590
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=145949

namecheck

Hi,

I think the best way to find out is to fax an inquiry to FBI, I learnt it the tough way;(read below)

I filed my marriage based AOS,
RD 4th Nov 2003
FP 23rd Dec2003
Had my interview on 20th May 2004, case was approved by the officer pending security clearance.
After waiting for four months after the interview with no update, I decided to check with FBI about the namecheck, I faxed in a request and they sent me an e-mail stating that a request for namecheck was initiated by the INS on the 1st of January 2004 by the INS which resulted in format error and the INS never resubmitted again.
All this time I have been waiting only to find out the the process was never reinitiated, If I had not got in touch with the FBI, I would still be waiting for the namecheck which was never resubmitted in the past ten months.

It is extremely frustrating and disappointing. :mad:

s_wait

I have faxed to FBI Name check department three times till now and I have called them once and I have also emailed them twice and I haven't got anything yet from them for the past three months.

So now I really don't know what more I should be doing in order to get the status from FBI about my security clearance. :confused: & also :mad:
s_wait said:
Hi,
I think the best way to find out is to fax an inquiry to FBI, I learnt it the tough way;(read below)
s_wait

needhelp1 said:
I have faxed to FBI Name check department three times till now and I have called them once and I have also emailed them twice and I haven't got anything yet from them for the past three months.

So now I really don't know what more I should be doing in order to get the status from FBI about my security clearance. :confused: & also :mad:

I sent fbi a fax concerning the name check on Sept. 15, and they replied on last Sat. by email. They informed in the message that a record check for me was completed in April, 2003.

Dear Friend,
I have started sending fax from September 1st and I haven't heard anything from them.

Whom did you send the fax and did you address to the department or did you address it to Mr. David Hardy. Please note that I have addressed to both of them.

And from which email did you get response from. Is it the same email which FBI has published on the phone system. Please reply or you can send me a Private Message.
yygov said:
I sent fbi a fax concerning the name check on Sept. 15, and they replied on last Sat. by email. They informed in the message that a record check for me was completed in April, 2003.

My lawyer says: "Also, I recommend that you contact your local congressperson. They do not take phone calls from attorneys, because they are interested in future voters. Most offices have an immigration department, and you give your case number so that they can submit an inquiry on your behalf"
Has it ever helped anyone? I mean what can a congressman do about this? This is a matter of national security so I don't see how a call from one of the congressmen can resolve this.
I think I saw some e-mails here that says that if the problem is truly with the security clearance then the response from the congressman is usually "sorry, but we can't do anything about it". Is it so?

Yes. If your case is pending with FBI Security Clearance then no body on this earth can help you. Congressman will only expediate the case, if everything is ready to be approved and they will give the final thrust. That's all and nothing more than that.
udacha6 said:
if the problem is truly with the security clearance then the response from the congressman is usually "sorry, but we can't do anything about it". Is it so?

So then potentially my case can be pending indefinetely....
They don't have any deadlines that have to meet, right?

needhelp1:
I recommend that you call FBI...Last week, I called on behalf of my wife and gave them her A number. Within seconds the lady told me the date when they received the request from INS and that it was completed on the same day and send back to INS. I am trying to contact my congressman to move this further...
Goodluck
-krsn1
needhelp1 said:
Dear Friend,
I have started sending fax from September 1st and I haven't heard anything from them.

Whom did you send the fax and did you address to the department or did you address it to Mr. David Hardy. Please note that I have addressed to both of them.

And from which email did you get response from. Is it the same email which FBI has published on the phone system. Please reply or you can send me a Private Message.

needhelp1 said:
Dear Friend,

1. The fax was addressed to the department.

2. The email was from David Hardy, I believe.

Hi Udacha6

I got the following details somewhere in this forum and I am pasting the message here
For unknown reasons, FBI has been holding off name check requests from
USCIS for certain individuals until the applicants contacts FBI. Applicants
interested in checking the status of this check should fax a status request
to 202-324-3367 David Hardy, Chief RID Section, FBI Headquarters,
Washington, DC 20535 with his/her full name, DOB, country of birth, home
address, home telephone no., A# and USCIS petition number and a return fax
number. They normally respond in 10 days. David Hardy at FBI is the Chief
of RID section that handles Name Check requests. If anyone finds out that
the name check has been pending for a long time write a letter to Mr. Hardy
requesting to "expedite the processing of name check request from USCIS"
bringing to his attention the time period the name check has been pending.
In addition, you can write to Robert J. Garrity Jr. Executive Assistant
Director, Records Management Division at FBI Headquarters; Mr. Garrity is
Mr. Hardy's boss. Also FBI Headquarters main number is: 202-324-3000 (ask
the operator to transfer you to a supervisor in Mr. Hardy's section).

FBI PHONE # to check FP Status
Call FBI at 304-625-5590 or 304-625-2406
have your A# handy

My wife's case was pending for sometime, then I sent the fax to FBI and I already received their reply.

Hope this helps.

Name Check Vs Fingerprint Check

Hi:
Is there a difference between name check and fingerprint check?
I have heard that name check is done only ONCE at the begining of the I-485 process and Fingerprint checks are done every time you are asked by BCIS to submit new fingerprints...
If the most recent fingerprint check has been completed, does this mean the preceeding name check is also completed...If not, how would one request the name check?
Thanks,
-krsn1

coolone said:
Hi Udacha6

I got the following details somewhere in this forum and I am pasting the message here
For unknown reasons, FBI has been holding off name check requests from
USCIS for certain individuals until the applicants contacts FBI. Applicants
interested in checking the status of this check should fax a status request
to 202-324-3367 David Hardy, Chief RID Section, FBI Headquarters,
Washington, DC 20535 with his/her full name, DOB, country of birth, home
address, home telephone no., A# and USCIS petition number and a return fax
number. They normally respond in 10 days. David Hardy at FBI is the Chief
of RID section that handles Name Check requests. If anyone finds out that
the name check has been pending for a long time write a letter to Mr. Hardy
requesting to "expedite the processing of name check request from USCIS"
bringing to his attention the time period the name check has been pending.
In addition, you can write to Robert J. Garrity Jr. Executive Assistant
Director, Records Management Division at FBI Headquarters; Mr. Garrity is
Mr. Hardy's boss. Also FBI Headquarters main number is: 202-324-3000 (ask
the operator to transfer you to a supervisor in Mr. Hardy's section).

FBI PHONE # to check FP Status
Call FBI at 304-625-5590 or 304-625-2406
have your A# handy

My wife's case was pending for sometime, then I sent the fax to FBI and I already received their reply.

Hope this helps.

FBI Finger Printing check is done once in 15 months and generally whenever you call them they give status over phone.
But Name check is done only once in the entire I485 stage and this one generally takes between 45 to 90 days, but with the experience of other forum members, I have noticed that sometimes it just sits there and till the CIS gets clearance from FBI Name Check Department, the concerned I485 will not be approved. So if you are keen then you should write a letter to FBI Name check and fax them to send the status back to you. Hope this helps!
krsn1 said:
Hi:
Is there a difference between name check and fingerprint check?
I have heard that name check is done only ONCE at the begining of the I-485 process and Fingerprint checks are done every time you are asked by BCIS to submit new fingerprints...
If the most recent fingerprint check has been completed, does this mean the preceeding name check is also completed...If not, how would one request the name check?
Thanks,
-krsn1

Guys, I am in the same boat. I sent 3 fax and 3 emails to David Hardy and did not get any response. My FP2 is scheduled on 11/3/04, but if name check is not cleared, nothing can be done towards approval. Foe some people FBI sent email that CIS did not contact them yet etc...but for me "no answer"

PIBO ... I hope you are sending the Fax correctly .. not upside down ,, blank pages ;)

I was lucky to get the email within a month or so.

You will ONLY get a response when your NameCheck is cleared. I feel bad to say it, but at times Namecheck takes over 3,6,8 and even 12 months.

Keep faxing him every 15 days... untill you get some response ... GOOD LUCK

cheekoo, I sent the fax correctly. I hope they are atleast getting my emails! All is luck! otherwise, people with ND sept03, jan 04 are getting approvals and we are still stuck.