Is there any need to apply for a Passport Card?

Even if you don't intend to use it, it is another form of proof of your US citizenship, incase if you ever lose your Passport and you are on a trip and your Nat'z certificate is back home, you can yank the Passport card out of your wallet and have a proof of being a USC and hit the embassy for a duplicate passport, you will thank your stars, apart from that it's handy to renew DL or else where where proof of USC is required rather than carrying a bulky Passport book.

I didn't apply for one. I wouldn't want to carry it in my wallet. You have to keep it in a protective metal sleeve to guard against unauthorized reading or "skimming attacks". I saved the extra cash, put my passport book in my home safe, and on the infrequent occasions when I need the book, other than for foreign travel, I believe my muscles will be equal to the challenge of hauling this "bulky" object from the safe and toting it around in my purse. :D

I applied for the passport card because I travel quite often to British Columbia by car. Also, it is another form of ID and it does not have my address on it, so it is a bit better in terms of privacy.

I used my passport card as an ID for intra-Schengen travel, and it worked great - for renting a car, checking into the hotels and other stuff. The passport meanwhile was safely stored in our relatives home in Germany. I would highly recommend applying for one at the same time with the passport book to save $25 processing fee.

I used my passport card as an ID for intra-Schengen travel, and it worked great - for renting a car, checking into the hotels and other stuff.

I think this is the coolest use which has not been discussed before. That is ... equivalence to a passport (I know what will you expect next) with private organizations in Europe (car rental), and with governments in Europe. Cool.

I think this is the coolest use which has not been discussed before. That is ... equivalence to a passport (I know what will you expect next) with private organizations in Europe (car rental), and with governments in Europe. Cool.
My guess is that the passport card looks a lot like a national identity card to Europeans because they are used to such cards and few of them know that there is no national ID card in the USA. Ironically, I was more successful using the US passport card as an ID in Europe than here in the USA :rolleyes:

Its important to have a Passport card. I for one, applied for the passport card with my passport book. It comes handy as ID and another form of US citizenship proof and it is very handy.

What if, there is an immigration raid at your work? How will you show US citizenzhip? The passport card is the answer
What if laws change in a state ( like Arizona) ? You get stopped by a police who asked for your citizenship? The passport card is the answer

My US citizen friend in Kansas City was stopped by the Police recently. The cop asked him if he has a green card and he doesnt have the passport card. He argued with the police if he needs to bring his passport book when driving around Kansas City. Nothing happened to him. He was stopped because he was driving a corvette and he's not even over speeding, and he didnt get any ticket. An asian guy driving a corvette..hmm..typical racial profiling ! However, if he had the passport card, it would've been less hassle for him
( I dont know if it was legal for the Kansas city cop to ask him for his immigration status )

In any way, it is very beneficial to have two proofs of US citizenship, one ( the book ) is in your home/bank safe, the second (passport card) is safely tucked in your wallet.

Last edited by a moderator: